Head position

Submitted by Tom on 2/14/01. ( ) 209.176.87.92

What is the secret to getting a sitting duck with a low head position
to look right. Maybe I'm using too long of neck, or am I just not getting
the neck bent down correctly? Any info would be appriciated.

Return to Category Menu

I have the same question

This response submitted by Chris on 2/14/01. ( darcythomas@yahoo.com ) 63.29.131.185

It must be that I am using too long of a neck. I match the neck material with the real neck, so I know that is right. What we can't mimic with the neck material is the way the birds can flex and relax the muscles in the neck. I think a resting or sleeping position must require a shortened neck, or at least a smaller diameter neck to allow proper bending and neck position. We need some expert advice.

This helped me.

This response submitted by John C on 2/14/01. ( ) 208.44.115.70

For years I worked on birds and the never looked right. Then I decided to measure the length of the duck from head neck union to pogostyle. The over all length. It has worked out far better than measuring body parts seperatly. I do this for flying birds also. This lets me stack up the skin alot better, producung a smooth bird.
}Remember this your bird skin should have a lot of slack to you can adjust it. pull it from the back to the head of the bird. Be sure and wrap a crop to help with body shape. I even went to 14 guage wire for the neck this allows easier working.

Take that bird carcus with neck attached, play with it to understand the functions. as a mater of fact pluck a spare duck and work with it to understand the full function of the wings and legs neck. Refreeze it and work with it each time you mount a bird.

Shorter neck

This response submitted by lee duet on 2/14/01. ( ) 204.181.185.32

I get great results by making the neck about half the size of the original neck.Also make a S shape with the neck. no pro,but it works for me.

Alter the Mannikin

This response submitted by Skip on 2/14/01. ( ) 209.204.166.98

It you use a foam body you need to carve out a portion of the body between the breasts.

Look at your foam body, the area right below where the neck attaches. Carve a V-Shaped groove between the breasts the depth of the neck attacment point straight out the bottom. If you look at a real bird they do not have anything there. I feel that the manufactures are trying to mold in part of the Craw. It ends up getting in the way for a standing mount. If you carve this out the neck with tuck in real nice and you will have more freedom of movement. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Return to Category Menu