Artificial head for pheasant

Submitted by Keith Keana on 2/14/01. ( ) 204.34.211.87

Are there any advantages to using an artificial head in a pheasant? Also, the artificial heads that i've seen in the catalogs have large waddles, how can the pheasant head skin at the beak fit around this artificial head? I have a very nice pheasant that i'm hesitant to make an incision in the back of the head. Need your advice.

Return to Category Menu

Artificial Pheasant Heads

This response submitted by George on 2/14/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.104

Keith,
I've used them and they are tricky. I finally decided to use the one without waddles as the big ones required that I cut the throat area in order to install them. The fall head(I think - without waddles) goes in rather easily.

Have you tried to skin it out without incising the skin. On some RARE occasions, the head will come down through the neck without cuttiing. I usually cut the back of the head and then stitch it with invisible thread. Surprisingly, the mantle of feathers on the head covers the incision quite well.

artificial advantage!

This response submitted by another Keith on 2/14/01. ( kawink2000@yahoo.com ) 208.132.94.69

If you are careful and work the skin down slowly with your fingers and thumb you can skin a pheasant without making the head cut. I like the artificial heads because when I use the real skull I have a hard time getting the feathers to lay down right, they look good when I first do them but after the skin drys the feathers on the neck lift with the artificial heads I don't have this trouble, there are heads out there without the waddles but I can't remember off hand who it is try Buckeye or McKenzie
Keith

Return to Category Menu