Shingling Turkey Feathers

Submitted by Andy on 2/22/01. ( Greenacres@tcenet.net ) 208.154.15.8

Can someone please explain to me a litlle clearer the way to shingle the feathers on the back. I have Breakthrough's issues #55 and it says to use caulk. What kind of caulk and how do you get it on the quill ends without getting it all over the feathers? Is fish backing cream what is used? How much do I apply to the quill ends? Does anyone have another method to get this effect? Any help will be greatly accepted. Thanks, Andy.

Return to Category Menu

Caulk on inside!

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 2/22/01. ( ) 155.76.224.2

Andy, They are talking about making sure the caulk/hide paste is on the quill ends that stick through the skin to the inside, not on the outside of the skin. If you have properly fleshed the turkey skin, the quill ends should be exposed. When the caulk/hidepaste sets up, the quill ends will lock in place and the feathers should be shingled. You have to keep working the feathers until they set in place. Some folks hang the turkey upside down and let gravity help keep the feathers sticking out.

Good luck!

One more thing

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 2/22/01. ( ) 155.76.224.2

to add. You don't need to put the hide paste on the ends of the quills. Just put it on the back of the turkwey form in the area you want the feathers shingled. Then when the skin is put in place, the quill ends will be in the caulk.

Bruce

shingling back feathers

This response submitted by Rick Morris at the Turkey Roost on 3/3/01. ( ) 12.119.224.98

A properly fit turkey body to the skin doesn't need any caulk or hide past to make them stand up, they will do it naturally. If you have enough excess skin for the length and width of your body, no additional substance is needed. Your trouble sttarts when your skin fits the body too tightly. The quills of the feathers on the back need to stand easily on their tips with out any tention from tight skin pulling them down. ****My tip is never use hide paste.*****

The Turkey Roost
Rick Morris

Return to Category Menu