attaching primarys?

Submitted by dan on 2/22/01. ( flatrock@svs.net ) 208.44.38.173

I have searched the archives on this and cant come up w/ anything.After the wing of a duck is inverted and cleaned what is the best way to reattach the primary feathers to the bones?Is it even necasary.I have a video from Dave Luke and he did not do this but it seems like it might work better if some type of glue was used to reconnect them.The bird is going to be mounted in a flying pose so I want to avoid an insision on the under side of the wing.Thanks again.

Return to Category Menu

primarys

This response submitted by Andy Bullock on 2/22/01. ( ) 150.216.55.70

In mounting a flying bird just skin the wings down stopping just before the second joint in the wing. Wrap the wing bones with paper towels (like you would use in the kitchen) to build the wings back up. Use masking tape to set the feathers and card were needed. This should work just fine, has for me for five years now!

Primarys ?

This response submitted by Jim Kimball on 2/22/01. ( ) 63.23.223.159

I'm hoping your talking about the secondaries and not the primarys.

There a few different things you can do there...... Just wrapping the bones and not putting any type of glue will work... But I would suggest you try a type of glue or maybe a caulk... experiment and find something that works for you....

wait!

This response submitted by brice on 2/22/01. ( ) 64.240.155.147

make absolutely certain that before you put any kind of glue or caulk inside the wing that there are NO HOLES! if there are any holes at all, even tiny ones. it will leak out and get on the feathers. that is extrememly bad.

Do Not Detach the Feathers in the First Place

This response submitted by Kris Dunckel on 2/22/01. ( krisdunckel@msn.com ) 63.27.124.203

On flying mounts, I do not detach the secondaries. As Jim indicated, I am assuming you mean secondaries, not primaries. Stefan Savides' video on mounting a flying Widgeon includes this technique if I am not mistaken. It is probably is a bit controversial because many believe you cannot adequately clean the ulna and radius using this method and surely it is harder, however, I find that is leaves the secondaries much easier to groom. Pulling the skin back as far as possible without detaching the secondaries, then using needle nose plyers to reach in down the the wrist area pulling the remaining flesh out has worked for me. It just seems that it is much easier to get speculum (sp?)on waterfowl to lay right as well as eliminating the wing cut can be accomplished using this technique.

oops

This response submitted by dan on 2/22/01. ( ) 208.44.38.164

I meant secondaries dont know what I was thinkin.Thanks for the advice.

Return to Category Menu