turkey fleshing

Submitted by Ken on 2/19/01. ( cutnwrap@yahoo.com ) 38.29.114.79

I'm just learning the art of bird taxidermy. When fleshing a turkey on a wire wheel, I have trouble with the wheel wearing holes in the feather butts. Will these feathers eventually come out? I know they will if I overflesh and burn through the hide around the feather. I have changed wheels and noticed that a finer wheel definitely makes it worse. What am I doing wrong? Or what can I do to correct this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Return to Category Menu

Tirm the fat off by hand first.

This response submitted by John C on 2/19/01. ( ) 208.44.115.60

Work it down by hand then wire wheel it this will say the feather butts, but no it will not hurt the mount normally.

Over kill

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 2/19/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.166.252.13

I sounds like your trying to over flesh the turkey. They have the toughest skins around. I like a course brush when I do tukeys. It does a quicker job on removing fat.

Are you fleshing from the tail to the head of the bird? This may be a proplem also. You may be working against the quills and burning them this way. A finer wheel should not do what your trying to explain. So thats why it leads me to belive that your going against the quills and not with them.

Return to Category Menu