Manual or what?

Submitted by JO on 2/19/01. ( ) 198.110.156.3

Has anybody tried Breakthroughs bird taxidermy manual? How is it for
beginners? Or would i be better off buying how-to videos?

Return to Category Menu

Breakthrough Manuals

This response submitted by Dave at VanDykes Taxidermy Supply Co on 2/19/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.65.239.8

Jo,
In my personal opinion, as with many others, You could never go wrong with Breakthrough. To date, I think that they're the most informative books out there. I have the complete set and still go back to them now and again. About all the supply companies out there cary them. Tjat says alot in itself.
Videos are also a good learning tool as you might catch certain procedures or methods others use as well. either way, you can learn much.
Feel free to contact me if you need further info.on this.
Have a good evening,
Dave>VanDyke's

Jo, buy em!

This response submitted by Leanna on 2/20/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.73

I've been doing this taxidermy thing for only 6 years. I just bought the Waterfowl & Bird Finishing Manual (from the advice of a good friend) as well as the Bird Taxidermy Manual for a bit of a "refresher course" per se. They are wonderful. I since purchased a couple of the Fish Manuals and Next is the Mammal Manual. There is always something in there you thought you knew but didn't! And not only will they teach you, but they for me, are a wonderful review, as well as a few new techniques to try. As I was in a rut. Don't forget the Breakthrough Mag subsript as well. Oodles of information in that one! Videos are good too.

?

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 2/20/01. ( bigjims@adlehia.net ) 24.50.252.14

I too have all of the manuals, but this is where I part with the earlier postings. The Bird Taxidermy Manual is terrible. It is a walking advertisement for a certain companies products. The company mentioned is a GREAT company, but the manual is by far the WORST on of the set. I NEVER look back at it like I do some of the others. In fact you can have mine for $15. as for the other Breakthrough manusls, get them they ARE super! Try the Frank Newmeyer bird mounting book sold through the same company.

Jo,

This response submitted by Leanna on 2/20/01. ( ) 209.98.65.52

Buy Jims Bird Manual for $15 bucks. It's well worth it especially for beginners. It tells you ALOT. Although, seeing as how they not only endorse WASCO's products, but CocaCola as well, (Sally IS wearing a Coke shirt in some pics!) maybe Jim will knock the price down to 10 bucks for you!

I personally don't like the Frank Newmeyer Manual as well as the Bird Taxidermy Manual. Not to say I don't like it, just not as well!

Return to Category Menu