First Duck - HELP?

Submitted by Jess on 2/28/01. ( grouse_fear_me@hotmail.com ) 204.244.115.155

I have been doing taxidermy for almost 5 years and I am about to mount my first duck. Can someone tell me, is there anything different about it? I heared that ducks have more fat than pheasants. The pheasant I did had a lot of fat. Would a motorized flesher work better that doing it by hand, or is it not THAT fatty? Cany anybody give me some tips, I really want to do this right the first time.
Thanks,
Jess

Return to Category Menu

Ducks

This response submitted by Art on 2/28/01. ( hursey1@sota-oh.com ) 216.28.80.183

Jess,
The amount of fat on a duck or pheasant varies with the food source and the health of the bird, etc.
Some people choose to flesh their birds by hand, and that's fine, but I use a wheel on all of my birds.
Once you get used to it, you'll never be without it.
Have fun!

use a wheel!

This response submitted by Brent on 3/1/01. ( breddick@gnrco.net ) 216.60.10.58

I've done many pheasants and several hundred ducks over the past few years and I'd have to say I would never flesh a duck (or any waterfowl) by hand. Pheasants can be just as fatty as far as thickness but they generally aren't as greasy. I constantly apply borax as I skin a pheasant and then easily pull off the fat from the skin. On ducks I don't use any borax while skinning and I use the wire wheel flesher without worrying about getting fat on the feathers. It will come clean with some good washing.

I'd certainly recomend the wire wheel flesher over any hand fleshing!

Brent Reddick

Return to Category Menu