mounting

Submitted by david hayes on 4/5/01. ( dhayes73@hotmail.com ) 208.180.170.124

when you skin a duck do you have to put it on a mannikin are can you store it till you have time to work on it? any advise apreciated

Return to Category Menu

I skin and Freeze

This response submitted by Brad on 4/5/01. ( ) 208.235.7.95

David
I almost always skin out the bird then freeze. I may be crazy but it seems to help defatting doing it this way. Plus saves room in the freezer having them skinned out.

Can't say how the others do it, but...Yes, you can

This response submitted by Bill Gaither on 4/5/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.123

I can't speak for others, or say that my method is best, but it works for me. I assume you mean to just skin the bird and not scrape the skin and remove meat, but to store the skin until you have time to finish the job.

Stuff cotton through the birds bill and into the gullet to prevent leakage. Same with the vent. I skin the duck from the front ventral edge of the pelvis to the "Vee" formed by the superior edge of the sternal bone where the two pectoral muscles attach. Clip the wings free of the socket at the apex of the humerous. Cut through the "knee" joints. I use a handful of borax to toss here and there to absorb fluids as I work. (If you plan to eat the bird, cornmeal will work as well.) Hook a third hand rig under the pelvis and skin down to the tail,cutting it free at the juncture with the coccyx. skin down the back and roll skin forward until you have freed as much skin as possible, near the base of the skull, and sever the neck. Douse the wing butts and leg meat with a generous amount of borax. Cut a piece of 3/4" insulation foam to place in the body cavity to keep the breast feathers from rolling to the inside, where they will pick up grease and blood. Carefully wrap the head with medicinal cotton, making sure the feathers are aligned as naturally as possible.

Place the duck's head under one wing and fold each wing in a natural position. Place the rolled and folded bird in one leg of a cheap pair of panty hose to keep feathers aligned as neatly as possible. Place the entire assembly in a suitably sized cardboard tube. Wrap the tube with two layers of cling wrap, as air tight as possible. Cover the cling wrap with freezer paper, and finally aluminum foil and freeze until needed. The biggest problem I have had storing skins in the past is breakage of neck skin and other things caused by yours truly or an associate shoving the skin aside while digging through a pile of critters to locate another subject. That is the reason for the protective jacket. The sooner you get to the project,the better. I have stored skins for more than two years this way.

Return to Category Menu