7/2/01 THANKS FOR THE HELP ON My 1st Woodduck What Happened

Submitted by DeeR HUNTER on 7/26/01. ( ) 205.213.141.56

Well It took some time but i must admit it turned out nice. I know its not show quality but it looks good. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP AND SUPPORT. The biggest problem I had was a cut through the skin by the tail (IT WAS A BAD CUT) Iwas just about to dump it. But I fixed it.) To get the Fat & SKIN off I used a wire brush but not on a drill the bird would have went for a spin for sure. I do alot of woodcarving and have a small wire brush on my dremal THAT WORKED GREAT I just set it on Low. I used a soft paint brush to help groom it. I have spent about 1 hour for the last 3 days grooming it. Each day better than the day before THAT SEEMS TO BE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. THE FEATHERS LOOK GREAT! Thanks again

IF YOU HAVE ANY ? OR OTHER HINTS PLEASE TELL ME!

Return to Category Menu

Invest in some large tweezers

This response submitted by CHUCK on 7/26/01. ( Chuckcnctaxi@aol.com ) 205.188.208.169

When grooming a bird take note that the feathers must lay over the correct adjacent other feathers. I suppose you can refer to this as shingling although that term usually refers to the feather lay on turkeys .Get some tweezers about 6-8 inches long with either rounded or slim tips and gently pull each feather group into place .Yes it takes a little while but as Stephan Savides claims it can be a very relaxing time .Do this while it is still drying ,the next day check it and if any have moved out of place ,simply put it back into position.In another day or so it will be dry and the feathers will be fairly locked into the final position.

Return to Category Menu