Resin

Submitted by Lee Duet on 7/10/01. ( ) 206.160.22.92

I would like to know the difference between fiberglass resin and scenery resin or if its the same.And also when making waves with a blow dryer do you need heat or no heat. Thank you for any information.

Return to Category Menu

Polyester?

This response submitted by CUR on 7/10/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.108

The resins are available from four basic groups: Polyesters, Polystyrenes, Acrylics, and co-polymers (epoxies). Liquid polyester resin used in fiberglass lamination work is also used in habitat scenery. Acrylics and co-polymer resins are also used for the scenery effects, as well as the styrene groups. Most of the co-polymers do not have UV inhibitors, and tend to yellow with time. An exception is the enviro-tex product, which I do no recommend for water scenes, due to the longer curing times. I use acrylic resin for water effects, since the acrylics have a harder mohs and are available at numerous craft and hobby shops when an emergency need arises. The commercial brand I use is "Clear Cast".

When making water ripples by forced air flow, heat will accellerate the reaction as it does with most polymers and co-polymers. The ambient air temperature will have an effect on hardening times. Using heat can cause cracking if too much catalyist is used for the thickness of the pour. Not using heat in colder temperatures can be a lesson in frustration.

I suggest dropping a dime on materials and experimenting with various ratios of resin and MEC and testing for results at your location. All of the expert written words, a library full of videos and a dozen books cannot take the place of hands-on experience. If all studios in all places had exactly the same temperature, humidity and atsmospheric composition, there would still be human and calibration differences that prevent another's method being successful in your work place. Waste some material. You will gain knowledge by your efforts.

Return to Category Menu