turkey wings and smell

Submitted by taxidermygirl on 7/15/01. ( ) 64.79.80.105

I recently mounted a couple of full strut turkeys and ran into a problem of them ,one more than the other, developing an odor under the wing where the primary feathers attach to the bone at the tip. I felt that I had cleaned this area well, I removed all of the meat by way of incision and extraction, but it almost seemed as though the smell was coming from the tip bones themselves, is there a product that is used to inject this area? I had this problem once before several years ago when I first started to do turkeys but found that I needed to split the tip and extract the meat, thought I cured the problem until now. Perhaps too humid and they didnt dry quick enough?
Any comments or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

inject it!

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 7/15/01. ( ) 63.231.53.5

Check the muscle that opens the "thumb" feathers. [alula] On turkeys it is big enough to cause problems. You should be injecting it on all of them.
Nancy M.

With what

This response submitted by first timer on 7/16/01. ( ) 216.187.227.98

inject it with what?

Preserve It

This response submitted by Try it you'll like it! on 7/16/01. ( ) 216.78.30.76

Works Great!

where do you get it

This response submitted by taxidermygirl on 7/16/01. ( ) 64.79.80.187

where do you get this stuff called preserve it?

Preserve-it

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 7/16/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.141.97.241

Go to Bruce Rittel's site he sells it or just click on the name. Or if you want just about all the catologs carry it now.

Sorry I wasn't clearer

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 7/16/01. ( ) 63.228.98.123

Oops. I should have said what to use. Preserv-it is a good product that replaces formaldehyde for general use. Like Frank said, most of the suppliers carry it now.
Nancy M.

Same problem (can we skin the wing down to get this area?

This response submitted by Coach on 7/18/01. ( ) 199.228.142.5

I had the same problem. I injected this later, but someone told me to skill the wind all the way down.

I am patient, so the bird I am working on now I tried. But I can not figure out how to invert the wing down that far. I fell that tuggin on it may cause it to tear.

Any suggestions, or is perserve it the best and optimal solution.

Thanks,
Coach

Soory for last post (in a hurry)

This response submitted by Coach on 7/18/01. ( ) 199.228.142.5

I wanted to say that I have been instructed to skin the wing all way down. I am afraid to rip the wing by pulling the skin or trying to force it over the wing.

Sorry for the post.

Thanks,
Rob

inverting turkey wings

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 7/18/01. ( ) 216.160.83.224

[Actually, I kind of liked the phrase "skill the wind" LOL!]
Seriously though, I think what you are talking about is inverting the skin all the way down to the "wrist" joint. This is commonly done on smaller birds, and it is certainly possible on turkeys, but I don't recommend it. The reason is that it leaves the secondary feathers flopping around loose. To regain control of them you will HAVE to use hide paste or caulking inside the wing to glue them into place and help hold them. A turkey's skin just isn't strong enough to dependably hold those heavy feathers in place. Therefore it saves time in the long run if you go ahead and make an incision under the wing to remove the meat. That way you can leave the secondaries rooted to the ulna so that they are lined up properly and supported.
That only takes care of the "forearm" area, though. In the wingtip are several areas that need to be dealt with. The largest one is between the two bones that make up the main part of the wingtip. This can be injected or [better] taken out through a small incision. The wing will dry faster with it gone. There is a second smaller area closer to the tip which can be injected. Around the base of the "thumb"is an area of meat which should also be injected in several spots. It's much easier to do that to explain. Just squeeze around on the wingtip, and anyplace that feels like meat gets injected.
Now, if you really want to try inverting a wing I will try to explain it. Assuming that you've already reached the elbow, you will need a strong but not very sharp blade. [I use an old butter knife] You will need to scrape or pry each secondary feather free from the bone. As you progress, cut the skin free from the meaty part of the wing a little at a time. The first few secondaries are the hardest, at least to me. After those it's easier to see what you're doing. You can then skin the wing all the way to where the primaries start. Be extra careful in the elbow area. It's easy to make a hole there.
I hope I've answered your question. If not, I'll try again. Just let me know.
Nancy M.

Thanks for the info.

This response submitted by Coach/Rob on 7/19/01. ( ) 199.228.142.5

Thank you.

Do you go below the wrist when inverting the wing?

This response submitted by Coach on 7/20/01. ( ) 199.228.142.5

Do you go below the wrist when inverting the wing?

Not quite

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 7/20/01. ( ) 216.160.83.124

You can work the skin around a little bit farther on the leading edge if you want to.
There are a few tendons and etc. there that you could remove that way. I would not try to remove the primaries from the bone, though. Unless you really want the skeleton, I just can't see where all that work could be justfied.
Nancy M.

Return to Category Menu