Migratory Bird Tags

Submitted by Redphoenix on 7/22/01. ( )

I understand, that you need to have tags on birds you are mounting. This information includes Name and address of the person that harvested them, species of bird, the date killed, and hunters signature. I have also heard, you need to write the number of birds that were harvested by THAT hunter that day, is this true? Do I have this correct?

For the Migratory Bird log book it must be held 5 years from the date permit was obtained, hunter's signature, address, the day the bird was received, species of bird, and the date bird was collected. Is this correct?

Also, must these tags, and log books be obtained from the fish and wildlife service? Or, may you just make you own tags, and log book as long as it has all the appropriate info?

Another thing, I know there WAS SOMEWHERE I saw before that listed EVERy migratory bird in the USA, but I can't find it. I thought it was in my Bird Manual, but I guess not. Now I am starting to think it was a web site but I don't remember which one. If anyone knows of a place let me know please!

I am not in a business but I am thinking about learning to do this as an occupation, and I was just more or less curious. Thank you for any info on this subject, thanks.

Return to Category Menu

all the answers are in 50 CFR

This response submitted by thats chapter 50 US Code of Federal Regulations on 7/22/01. ( )

Everything you seek to know should be found in there, I am not up to date on the first couple of questions, although I know with a little reading all the info you seek is in there, to answer your question about the list of birds go to a search engine ( I tried both google and yahoo and the list is on both) and type in 50 CFR SEC 10.13, this will pull up an alphabetical list of the birds your looking for.

check us fish/wildlife website

This response submitted by DJ Cornish on 7/22/01. ( dejayc@infoblvd.net )

Also Rinehart supply has some log books in there catalog for migratory waterfoul. Also it is handy to have a printer print up some tags then the hunetr can fill them out and sign them. If you would like to see a copy of my tags that I use Email me and I will email you a copy. good luck getting started. DJ

I got mine out of the reg book

This response submitted by CHUCK on 7/22/01. ( Chuckcnctaxi@aol.com )

Just to make sure I had the right information on my tags I went into the regulation book and they show you a SAMPLE tag,copying machines make easy work of it,if you can copy it onto tyvek thats good too.BTW,you can buy the tags from Rineharts and I think WASCO has them too.

Harvest tags

This response submitted by CUR on 7/22/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net )

Harvest tags are required at hunting lodges and for transportation purposes. They are more for study purposes than not, and to keep all above board at the camp, lodge or guide headquarters where hundreds of birds may be piled up for plucking, cleaning, etc. The name, hunting license number, phone number, address and date should more than keep you straight, as long as the tags correspond with your log. I you begin keepting harvest records, that could have the feds looking for a lot of birds wot ain't. Any good postal or tape tag will work, as long as it is wrapped on the leg of the specimen. Don't forget to use laundry markers or other indelible ink for the writing on the tag. Bulk tags are available from some suppliers, or at Office supply stores. I use a manila or bristol paper tag with a reinforced paper grommet at one end. I attach with cable ties (cheap ones).

Migratory, song, wading birds, waterfowl, shorebirds and raptors are on the list. The only three species which are not on the list, that I am aware of are the English Starling, the English sparrow and the domestic pigeon. There are some incidentals in various locations that may be without protection, but my rule is if it ain't one of those three, let it be.....see ya.

Check with your state parks and wildlife dept.

This response submitted by Tom on 7/23/01. ( )

I am considering doing some commercial work too now that I have done a few birds for myself. I know a taxidermist who told me that I should call the state's parks and wildlife department and let them know that I have applied for my federal taxidermy permit. I think he said that they will send a free kit that includes a logbook and tags. I haven't done this yet, but I plan to and suggest that you might try the same. I live in Texas and do not know if this varies from state to state. Hope this helps.

Return to Category Menu