Chalk Injection

Submitted by Pete on 4/2/02. ( ) 205.188.209.11

I've read of the method of injecting chalk to fill around the haed of birds using a syringe and extension.What do they us for extension,needle or tubing? Iwould like to try and compare the way I'm presntly doing it..Thanks..

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Caulk, son, caulk

This response submitted by cur on 4/3/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.209.238

You inject chalk and you will have a powder-puff. Some taxidermists feel that using latex caulk under the skin on bird heads will help set the feather butts and create a better effect than without. I use a different method, but I am sure someone else like Nancy Mulligan can detail the procedure for you. Check the archives there should be an answer in there.

Bill,you can't just leave us hanging like that!

This response submitted by Bill K. on 4/3/02. ( klager@nvc.net ) 64.68.174.228

What method do you use? Come on man, spit it out, no secrets here. I NEED to know or I won't be able to sleep at night. It's just not right that you do that to us, it's just not right man.

and the password is :

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 4/3/02. ( ) 66.19.115.175

"head neck union"
If you type that into the search category, you will find more than you ever needed to know - including Cur's not-so-secret method.
Note that the caulk is not used as a filler so much. It serves more as a type of hide paste. You should have the underlying structure fairly well represented before you add the caulk (if that is the method that you choose.) Thick layers take too long to dry.

Nancy M.

Chaulk

This response submitted by Pete on 4/3/02. ( ) 152.163.188.68

Sorry about the spelling,I just came home from work.The brain wasn't working as well as I would've like.Thanks again for the help,I'm going to search.Pete

I

This response submitted by keith on 4/3/02. ( ) 128.115.149.14

have watched Frank Newmyer use this method with outstanding results.He mountd a Bufflehead at the Calif.show a few years back and probably used a half a tube of caulking on that one bird.For use on the head he thinned out the caulking a bit with water and put it into a syringe with about an 18ga needle injected the top of the head and then went into the jowl area.If you plan to use this method make sure you have a good glue jointat the bill or you are going to have problems.I also like to use it at the neck and body union filling that gap around the legs and espcially in the tail area. It solidfies these unions and you can position the tail without using pins. Good luck

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu