1st time tanning turkey ... HELP!

Submitted by CDust on 4/10/02. ( CDustInc2001@aol.com ) 166.82.51.107

I usually take all my game to taxidermists. However, I recently harvested a fine tom turkey and, after speaking with a friend of mine who used to do pheasant pelts, decided I would try to do the same with my turkey. Everything's gone pretty good so far, but I have a few questions.
1) What is that jelly-stuff on the brest skin?
2) I've scraped all the meat from the hide, but don't know how to get it off the edges.
3) How do I remove the meat fom the wings?
4) I've been scraping everything with a knife, but there must be a better way.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Yeah, a taxidermist

This response submitted by George on 4/10/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.11

The "jelly-stuff" is the sponge and it "thumps" up during the strut. As you can see, it's just lots of fatty tissue with blood vessels running through it. Taxidermists have specialized equipment (if they don't, they'd better have good scissors and plenty of time.) to remove all the fat from the bird, skin out the wings to the wrist bone and clean the carpal area of the wing. If you stay after it, you can get it too, but you'll soon learn that taxidermists are underpaid.

CDust, sorry bud, you can get away with that

This response submitted by John C on 4/10/02. ( ) 64.216.172.81

on Pheasants, but turkey needs to be done by a pro.

One problem with the forums, it do it yourselfers trying to save a hundred bucks!

I will teach you for $500. to do bird rugs. After all everyone needs to make a living!

CDust

This response submitted by JEm on 4/11/02. ( ) 208.48.229.66

Use a good pair of scissors and grab yourself a case or two of beer. Sit down, turn the radio to a good station and have at it. After you are finished throw the thing in the waste basket and go get yoursself another bird. Take that bird to your local taxidermist. Once you try one you will probably not complain about paying for it to be done professionally - good luck my friend.

Thanks for nothing

This response submitted by CDust on 4/14/02. ( ) 64.12.96.79

Those really weren't the kind of answers I was looking for. I need info on HOW to do this, not reasons why I shouldn't.

Read

This response submitted by Rtruj on 4/17/02. ( ) 67.234.178.190

There are lot's of good books out there. You might start with the Breakthrough Bird Taxidermy Manual. It'll take you step by step through the process of mounting a turkey. They may even have a turkey only mounting manual. If this is your first, put a few more in the freezer as the first couple will probably end up in the trash anyway.

Read

There are lot's of good books out there. You might start with the Breakthrough Bird Taxidermy Manual. It'll take you step by step through the process of mounting a turkey. They may even have a turkey only mounting manual. If this is your first, put a few more in the freezer as the first couple will probably end up in the trash anyway.

Read

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu