Bending feathers

Submitted by Bill K. on 4/11/02. ( klager@nvc.net ) 64.68.173.36

I've been looking through the archives and I was surprised to find absolutely nothing on bending the tips of the wings of a flying bird. I've tried using the wife's hair curler and they came out pretty funky looking. When I asked her to show me how to use it she just took it back and told me not to touch it again. Maybe it's the wrong kind or I just don't know how to use it. Doe's anyone have any tips on bending wing tips or maybe the password to the archives on the subject.
Thanx, Bill

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Fine wire Screen and a steamer.

This response submitted by John C on 4/11/02. ( ) 64.216.172.106

A heavy duty clothes steamer will work. Steam and bend them set the screen top and bottom then steam again. Leave them screened for 3-4 days. After that time it should be fine.

Bill

This response submitted by cur on 4/11/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.184

I just answered that one in detail for another taxi......sending you the file today.......best to ya

Thank you gentlemen...

This response submitted by Bill K. on 4/12/02. ( ) 64.68.175.81

you are very helpful.
Bill

also

This response submitted by John Barber on 4/14/02. ( crittergedder@yahoo.com ) 216.110.93.183

Van Dykes is producing a tool Danny Owens invented to do this with a pass of this special tool should be out soon.

curling feathers

This response submitted by larry g on 4/16/02. ( larrygile@hotmail.com ) 166.102.39.156

take a candle and a 3 inchloop head pin..heat the pin then hold the first primary,bend it upwards till the desired bend.run the hot pin along the top of feather shaft,start from feather base to the end .
i usually curve first 5 or 6 primaries just look at ref...

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu