scapulars

Submitted by keith on 4/16/02. ( ) 128.115.149.14

Got hit for scapular placement on all three birds at the Calif. show but never got the correct info on how to fix the problem(no offense to the people that I asked).I know what the scaps should look like when finished but just cannot seem to get them to that point.Is there any tricks ,tips or hints that might help remedy this problem? thanks

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

How can we help?

This response submitted by cur on 4/16/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.80

How can anyone help you without seeing the problem? The only "trick" I know of is to make it look like the bird. If you can send jpegs, I will try to help, but I am not very good at shooting in the dark. I can't believe the judge didn't try to help you by showing you comparisons or making suggestions.

the

This response submitted by keith on 4/16/02. ( ) 128.115.149.14

suggestion was to look at referance,that is all fine and good, and I do look at referance. the problem is transfering that onto the mount and being able to physicly get the feathers to do wht they are supposed to.

Keith

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 4/16/02. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 152.163.188.66

Keith, I saw your bird and I don't know if I was one you asked about the scaps. But, usually when you detach the scapular group from the body and the skin expands. The scaps tend to move toward the tail when you put the bird back together. If you grab the front of the scaps skin with a pin you can pull it forward and pin it. Then you must make sure both are in the same position. I don't know if I saw your bird after it was judged, but don't feel bad I got hit for distorted skin and I couldn't see that either. Fortunately I did well with three other bird pieces. I got busy with show busines and didn't get a critique, but I will by phone.
Long time no see
Tony

next time

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 4/16/02. ( ) 63.225.184.146

Before you skin your next bird, after it is thawed, extend the wings and look very closely at where and how the scapulars are attached. Then make sketches or whatever it takes to help you remember them. Watch the way they move when the wing is opened or closed. Notice that there is a second small "wing web" which is seldom mentioned that stretches across the rear of the "wingpit" and provides an anchor for the rear part of the scapulars.
Once you totally understand where they go, then it's on to step two.
You need to get ALL of the fat out from in between the quills. Don't hesitate to use a sharp blade to score in between the feathers since they have long quills and are close together. This is a common problem area. It's just a small strip and doesn't seem to have much fat to worry about, but that is deceptive. It is one of the MOST important places to get control over to make a bird mount work. Even if the bird TRULY has no fat you should still cut between the scapular feathers so that they can be separated.
No amount of reference will help you if there is still membrane holding the roots of those feathers together.
'Hope this helps.

Nancy M.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu