Glycerin info

Submitted by Bryan on 4/17/02. ( ) 209.209.106.190

I just bought some Glycerin at the drug store, it says used for chapped lips/skin. I would like to know what this stuff does to duck feet. Such as does it act as a filler or more of a preservative?, do you inject this several times over the drying period, do you overfill then let it dissapate or shrink down, does it dry hard?, do the feet dry hard with this in them, I have not used this stuff yet and would just like to know what to expect. thanks in advance.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Bryan

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 4/18/02. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 64.12.96.42

I would not recommend injecting glycerin into bird feet by itself. Without a tissue fixer (stifener) like formaldehyde the glcerin will make your feet rubbery and give them a greesy feel. When mixed with formaldehyde the glcerin keeps the foot supple and keeps it from being dried out looking. The formaldehyde stiffens the cell walls. Just keep in mind that formaldehyde is a carsinogen and can blind you if you get it in your eye. (popping a needle) It's easier than you might think. There are alternatives that are not as dangerous.
Tony

Tony

Tony

This response submitted by Bryan on 4/18/02. ( wildlifedesign@hotmail.com ) 209.209.106.128

Can you use formalin? or anythiing else mixed with glycerin?. Right now I inject Roo glue (kind of like Elmers) it fills great but there is still shrinkage on the outside of the foot, Dried out looking like you say. If I mix the glycerin with the glue do you think that would be enough to stiffen up the foot, or do I need a substance that is going to cure the actual skin/cartildge inside. Thanks for the info; Bryan.

No Glue

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 4/19/02. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 198.81.23.13

I have tried white glue with glycerin. It did not work for me. You need something to makeup for the colapsed cells. Formalin does this, but it is a hazard to work with. It is also getting more difficult to get. I've heard some good things about Epo-Grip, but I haven't tried it myself. I think I have tried everything else.
Tony

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu