oily feathers

Submitted by chris on 4/23/02. ( whitefootball64@cox.net ) 68.1.166.75

I have a problem i have used two methods of degreasing.Liqua cure for two hours and a degreaser from WASCO for 1 hour.After a couple of days ,once I have finished mounting, I notice that oil starts seeping through the bottom of waterfowl.I tried dusting it with borax and it helped a little bit. please help

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

are

This response submitted by keith on 4/23/02. ( ) 128.115.149.14

you using a wire wheel or some sort of method to remove the fat first? If so pay very close attention to you washing process after you soak the bird in your degreaser of choicelook at the skinand make sure you have removed all of the fat if there is any left remove it or it is going to leak.

Chris, It ain't the soap

This response submitted by George on 4/23/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.103

And if you keep leaving your bird skins in the soap solution so long, oil is going to be the last thing you have to worry about. SOAP removes oil by breaking down protein through alkali or high pH. That same action ultimately eats skin, feather follicles, feathers, etc. You're lucky you don't already have a ball of tofu. Your problem stems from not removing the fat inside the bird skin sufficiently. Once you do, the soap will do the rest.

l d w

This response submitted by y on 4/28/02. ( h ) 209.163.34.189

laquer thinner soak for about 5 to 10 mn dawn detergent soak water soak three processes that should clean the bird providing that you afficiently removed fat on bird .

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu