Water You Think

Submitted by Thomas Mathis on 4/25/02. ( ) 12.109.199.47

I have been airbrushing my duck mounts with polytranspar water based air brush paints and was wondering if the acrylic based paints were better. I have had a little problem with the water based paint. It sometimes wants to get runny and doesnt stick with uniformity even without thinning the paint(especially on the feet). This forum is really great and thanks to everyone for their help.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Paints

This response submitted by Dave B. on 4/25/02. ( dave.belanger@cabelas,com ) 63.124.205.5

Try using a retarder to your paints when using them.
I have seen an instant improvement in doing so.Just a thought.
PS.....Just buy the bodies! LOL

Good day,
Dave

Well Be Patient

This response submitted by Elmer on 4/25/02. ( Topstaxidermy@aol.com ) 64.12.96.103

With water based paints the pigments drop to the bottom and don't mix well. Do this take the cap off and stir with a stir stick or tool then put the lid on then shake vigorously that should take care of it.

Water Based Paint is Acrylic

This response submitted by cur on 4/26/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.142

How else would it stay where you put it? All paints consist of two primary components - vehicle (medium) and pigment. "Water Based" refers to the thinning medium. Until they are dry, acrylic polymer paints are water soluable.

Acrylic lacquers are a horse of a different color. If that is what you mean, then you mean lacquer based paints versus water based paints. Both are acrylics.

Orange, flesh

This response submitted by Bryan on 4/26/02. ( ) 209.142.9.242

I think it all depends on which color you are spraying. The Orange and flesh always sprayed terribly for me.

Same Problem Bryan

This response submitted by Thomas on 4/26/02. ( ) 12.109.199.52

These are the same two colors that I am having trouble with. Did you ever find a solution? I have seen other feet that were painted with lacquer based paint(thanks cur it was late) and they seem to coat the foot more evenly but they look heavier to me. I am getting ready to make a large paint order and any suggestions on the best brand or type of paint would be appreciated.

Same Problem Bryan

This response submitted by got-um on 6/21/02. ( ) 216.127.204.102

I had simular poor results with the pre mixes so I made my own and yes I prefer lacquer the depth achived through thin transparent multible coats of a blend of colors over one another is the only way to achive realism I can spray a layer and by the time I blow some thinner and change bottles I can spray another coat. I can adjust for humitity and heat by adding more binder. try it you'll wonder why you bought the pre mix and have full comand of the colors and how they react to the variables.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu