Freezing Birds

Submitted by Mike Foote on 4/26/02. ( TROUTDIVER ) 205.188.209.133

I am trying to teach myself bird taxidermy by watching videos and reading the Taxidermy net. I have read that you can put a bird in a stocking wrap it put it in a bag and freeze it. I have also read were a Foodsaver ahs been used to vacume pack a bird and freeze it, but there has been concern about damaging the feathers. My question is, has anyone tried putting a bied in a stocking then vacume pack the bird and freeze it?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Ya could,but........

This response submitted by Dave B. on 4/26/02. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

.......I really dont feel you need to.
I use mine for birds ALL the time.Just use the "Over Ride" on your machine so as not to squish the bird.You'll be able to tell when you need to stop and seal. I love mine and have very,very good success with its use.No more Freeze Drying action.

Have a good day,
Dave

Learning bird taxidermy

This response submitted by Lloyd Swanson on 4/26/02. ( lloydswanson@hotmail.com ) 142.165.214.221

....You will save yourself a lot of headaches learning bird taxidermy if you severe the base of the neck first instead of the tail butt.Then after wing joints are severed skin down to tail butt using your thumbs and fingers to skin bird....Lloyd

Stockings

This response submitted by cur on 4/26/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.85

I used to use stockings to protect birds on the way in from the field, but they are no good for long term storage. The nylon and other "miracle" fibers have a memory that causes them to attempt to return to previous form. That memory in the wove and the material is what makes stockings cling tightly to women's legs. The stockings over long term will move the feather parts and contort them into curls and kinks that are difficult to re-arrange. Short term yes. Freezer storage. No. If you don't have the vacuum packer device, wrap the bird in newspaper and then plastic wrap and either aluminum foil or freezer paper over all, tape, mark for identification and freeze.

All I do is....

This response submitted by Big Al on 4/26/02. ( ) 205.188.209.7

wrap toilet paper around the feet and legs and wet down with a sprayer. Then wrap with plastic bags. Place the whole bird in a plastic bag and staple it shut.

This works

This response submitted by Stefan Savides on 4/29/02. ( stefan@AvianDesign.com ) 206.157.143.125

To store a bird we want to eliminate as much contact as possible with air to protect them from freezer burn.

Birds must be wrapped in plastic. The best way is to double or triple bag them.

You do this by first folding the head back under one wing and placing the specimen in a plastic sack.

Lay the sack down and fold the feet tightly against the body. Force all the air out of the feathers and the bag by carefully rolling the sack up tightly and securing with masking tape. Take care with this very important step. Air is the enemy here. It is not important that the feathers remain perfect. Distorting them will not hurt them.

The package is then placed into the bottom corner of a large plastic garbage sack and rolled up again, once more forcing all the air out of the sack. Secure with masking tape.

This process may be repeated one more time. The final package should be labeled and dated so you know what you have.

Immediately place the package in a freezer. Do not store in a frost-free type freezer because such freezers create too dry an environment. If properly wrapped, a bird will last up to ten years or more in storage!

Under no circumstances use newspaper, paper bags, aluminum or tin foil, freezer wrap, waxed paper or cloth. None of these materials protects from freezer burn

If you REALLY dont want contact with air...

This response submitted by Rob Olson on 5/3/02. ( robolson73@hotmail.com ) 128.192.86.21

put the bird in a ziploc bag, put the bag under the sink faucet and fill the bag up with water. Freeze. Make sure the whole bird is immersed in the water. Note: The above method is obviously going to get the feathers thoroughly soaked, so I only do this method on very greasy birds that I plan to wash anyway, such as ducks, geese, rails, other water birds, etc. I haven't tried this on upland game birds, though.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu