Doing a meganzer

Submitted by Tom H. on 5/6/02. ( sthall@telus.net ) 66.183.208.65

When skinning out a meganzer on the wing bone i see feather quills right away, should i cut them from the bone. Its going to be a flying mount Thanks Tom H.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Doing a Merganser

This response submitted by John on 5/6/02. ( ) 198.81.23.73

Hi Tom,
It's a bit confusing when your describing where you see the feather butts. It depends on what part of the wing bone your at. You need to strip the meat off of the Humerous(probably spelled that wrong!)and when you get to the Ulna where the Coverts are attached you don't want to skin any further. What you want to do is leave those feathers attached to the bone so they lay right especially if your doing a flying mount. You have two options, one is that you make an incision under the wing, making sure it's a clean neat one since you will be doing the flying mount, and you will have to sew it back up, and then scrape all of the meat out of the wing that way.

Number two is to force the skin down as far as you can from the elbow, By using a bit of meat that is still attached with some borax for gripping and pull down. You should be able to get about a 1/4 to 1/2 the way down the bone without causing any damage. Use borax and pick and prode all of the meat out of the wing all the way to the wrist. I prefer this way even though it takes a little longer because you don't have an incision to worry about sewing up under the wing. Some people like to skin the wing all of the way down to the wrist, seperating those feather butt's your talking about which I have done as well. If you choose to do that make sure you apply a small bit of caulking on the bone so those feather butts of the coverts have something to cling back to when you mount the bird.

I hope this helps, just take your time and either way you choose you should have good results. Good Luck and have fun with it!

John

John

This response submitted by Tom on 5/6/02. ( ) 66.183.208.65

Hi John These feather butts seem to be up against the humerus. but maybe not. When you said put some caulking on the bone, on which bone and when you do this do you put the caulking on then stick the buts into it then let it dry? Thanks Tom H.

doing a merganser

This response submitted by John on 5/11/02. ( ) 152.163.188.228

Hi Tom,

Sorry that I didn't get back to your follow-up question sooner, i've been out of town. There should be no feather butt's that are connected to the Humerus. You should skin back all the way to the end of the Humerus bone, (the large bone that you cut away from the body.) Once you skinned down to the end of the Humerus, remove all of the meat, but again there should be no feathers that attach directly to the bone in this area.

Then you can do one of two things once you get to the end of the Humerus. You can continue to skin down the Ulna all the way to the srist (which is a fancy way of saying to the next joint) and while your doing that you are removing the secondary feather butt's off the back side of the Ulna bone. This is what I think your seeing. If you skin the wing out like this, make sure that when you go to mount the bird, you put a small bead of caulk (non-silicone) on the back side of the Ulna bone where those feathers were connected by cartlidge, and that will help keep those feathers in place on the bone. You do this when your ready to wire the wings on in the mounting process.

Don't worry about sticking the butt's into the caulking right a way because you want to get the wings attached and the bird mounted and positioned first, then from the outside adjust your wing feathers where you want them and while your doing that the Butt's will get into the caulking and eventually dry in two or three days right where you want them to.

I hope this answers your questions, if not let me know and I can give you a call and try to help out over the phone. Just let me know what your phone number is or let me know if you want me to e-mail you to get your number. Good luck and remember have fun with it!

John

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu