Turkey Feathers

Submitted by Lisa on 5/7/02. ( ) 64.12.96.202

Here is hoping that someone can help me solve a problem, Mounted a eastern turkey want the turkey to be standing with the feathers smooth not strutting, but the feathers will not go into place and lay down smooth, was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to what I can do to correct this problem. I have mounted turkeys before and have never had this kind of problem. Thanks in advance for the info that I am assured will be posted . Checked the archives also .
Thanks again Lisa

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Many

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 5/7/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.144.235.173

There are way to many reasons on why and hard to tell without seeing it and knowing how you mounted it. First off the form can be to big for it and your over stretching the skin. Next and this should of been first, is the bird properlly fleshed and washed? Having a skin that is not fleshed right will cause proplems with feathers doing their own thing when it starts to dry. Are the feathers in the right group and not twisted?
There are many other but it's hard to say without really knowing what is going on under the skin. Something like gremlins are under there and they need to be taken care of so those feathers will lay right.

frank is right

This response submitted by earl on 5/7/02. ( ) 150.176.123.243

and I am betting on the form being to big. This is a very common problem with taxidermists new to bird mounting.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu