duck eggs

Submitted by tony on 5/10/02. ( ) 205.188.209.133

A neighbor of mine just gave me 3 mallard eggs that he said were abandon for weeks, and i would like to use these eggs in a mount, how would you go about draining these eggs?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

drill and syringe

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 5/10/02. ( ) 65.102.168.249

Drill a small hole on a flat side of the egg. (Well...not on an end, I mean.) Insert a thin wire and "scramble" the contents. Hopefully you won't find a half-formed embryo inside. If so, you will need a larger hole. Once the contents are homogenized, turn the egg so the hole is down and inject air UP into the egg. Go cautiously because you can overpressurize the egg and explode it. I STRONGLY recommend doing this wearing gloves and under running water! The raw contents will run down around the syringe and make quite a mess, but in the end you will have a perfect habitat egg. Also, after the contents are gone, inject some water into the egg, shake, and rinse it out by injecting more air.
This method will work on eggs of any size, although a drill is overkill on tiny eggs. For those, I use a hypodermic needle and gently twist it back and forth until a hole forms.
That's all there is to it!

Nancy M.

one other thing

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 5/10/02. ( ) 65.102.168.249

If the eggs are from a wild duck, you need paperwork to posses them. (Just as for the fully developed duck.)

Here is an idea

This response submitted by Grouseman on 5/10/02. ( jabratt@citlink.net ) 170.215.11.48

Why don't you make a mold of the egg? That way all you need is one and you don't have to worry about that nasty paper work. You can cover the egg with a thin layer of vasoline and then put on a couple of layers of silicone. Allowing time for each layer to set up before you put on the next.You can use liqua cast to make to egg. You can either make the egg solid or you can roll the egg around with it only 1/4 full and have a hollow egg. It is up to you.

Ready made and painted?

This response submitted by Tom on 5/11/02. ( ) 63.52.48.125

Is there a place to buy them ready made and painted?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu