De-fatting bird

Submitted by Tom Hall on 5/10/02. ( sthall@telus.net ) 66.183.208.65

I'm just starting out in birds, i got 6 birds skinned out ,but have to remove the fat. Oh yah they are all ducks.When removing the fatty tissue with scissors how good do you have to get it.I would hate to mount the bird, just to have it leak after.I am in the prosses of building my own flesher out of a 1/4 hp.motor but can't seem to find the attachment to go on a 1/2 in. shaft and i know the inside hub on the brush is 1/2 in.What is the part called.If anyone can help thank you very much. Tom Hall

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

VERY good

This response submitted by George on 5/10/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.38

All the fat must be removed or somewhere, sometime, grease is going to leak out of the bird. You didn't ask but a 1/4 horsepower motor is going to prove interesting if you find a shaft converter. That's a little too much Dynamite.

let me know

This response submitted by Brian P. on 5/11/02. ( ) 67.210.54.236

Let me know how many of those birds you have left after you use that 1/4 horse wheel on them. I use a 1/25 for most of my small stuff, but I must be a whimp. Keep us informed. Brian

FYI for degreasing

This response submitted by Andrew on 5/11/02. ( ASKmontana@excite.com ) 65.130.49.183

Tom, I have been a Taxidermist for 28 years and from my experiences I have learned that for a superior mount you must remove all fat, meat, tendons and bones that you feel comfortable with. I know this is alot to deal with as a novice but you might as well start now. I highly recommend using artificial heads, wings and feet if possible. Forget about using the old method of removing fat with scissors the results are poor at best. You must be able to break up the fatty tissue especially in the areas that have tightly compacted quills. I made my degreaser using a 1/3 horsepower, 1075 RPM motor from the blower fan of a Heater/AC unit. It has a 3/8 inch shaft and you can mount a fine brass wire wheel with shaft clamps or by threading the shaft for nuts and washers. If the the motor is a variable speed use the high speed since it will not grab as easily. The key is to use light pressure to break the tissue without tearing the skin. If you can not build a degreaser at this time a fine brass wire brush will work to break up the fatty tissue. Once you feel you have the tissue broken up the next step will be to wash the skin to degrease it. I will only use the non toxic method now by washing the skin in Dawn dishwashing detergent, rinse, soak in Kemel-4 by Knobloch for an hour, rinse, wash in Dawn again and rinse. I highly reccomend Liqua Cure by Knobloch for tanning instead of Borax. Excellent results! If you do not have a tumbler you can get by by using your clothes dryer at home on the air cycle only! Remove as much moisture from the bird as possible with towels, put the skin in a heavy duty garbage bag, add 2 to 3 lbs. of cornmeal and 1 lb. borax, inflate the bag and tie in a knot. You can also use fine corn cob grit. For snow geese use borax only otherwise it will stain the feathers! Only use about half the bag since you do not want a large area for the skin to bounce around in. It can damage the feathers! Fill the dryer with about 4 to 5 large dry bath towels and the bag with the bird skin or skins. For one duck tumble for an hour to 1 1/2 hours. Larger birds or multiple birds will take much longer. When dry, blow the the residue out of the feathers and skin with compressed air. Hope this helps!

box fan motor

This response submitted by traphunt on 5/12/02. ( ) 65.69.96.208

tap and die the shaft of a fan motor.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu