Help building a flesher

Submitted by Tony on 5/12/02. ( simplysmiling@woh.rr.com ) 24.209.85.133

Hello everyone, I browse the forums regularly reading all the great information everyone has given to all us newbies. I am sure this has been posted before but I would like alittle more specific information. I would like to build a simple wire flesher for waterfowl and was wondering if anyone out there has an equiptment list of parts that can be purchased at the local hardware stores Lowes or Home Depot etc.. I am aware you need a low HP motor but unsure what works best as there seems to be alot of different opinions on that. also the wire wheel and making sure you get a motor and brush that will adapt to each other easily.. I am planning to mount a few birds myself and would like to build a flesher first. THanks in advance.. Tony
Also interested in where I might be able to buy some pen raised ducks with the proper paperwork for mounting.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Tony

This response submitted by George on 5/12/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.105

If you truly read the forums, you know this is asked about once a week and that all the answers are in the archives just for typing them in that little block on the opening page. Still, what you're going to find out is that for about $160 you can build one just as good as the one Van Dykes sells. Only problem is, they sell it for about $150. You wanna play with the big boys, buy the right tools and use your time on taxidermy instead of industrial and electrical engineering.

You really will not save enough money being your own.

This response submitted by John C on 5/12/02. ( ) 64.216.172.33

Sure if all you have is time on your hands, then you will save some money. But buying quality materials and putting the time into it is going to cost you, so either way you are out money.

Taxidermy is not about saving money trying to learn. What college can you go to and not spend any money? Even the best college thats almost free will cost you your time.

Buying a good machine that will last you many years is not costly it is a investment.

Sure if all you have is time on your hands, then you will save some money. But buying quality materials and putting the time into it is going to cost you, so either way you are out money.

Taxidermy is not about saving money trying to learn. What college can you go to and not spend any money? Even the best college thats almost free will cost you your time.

Buying a good machine that will last you many years is not costly it is a investment.

I built mine for only 70 dollars

This response submitted by Thomas Mathis on 5/13/02. ( thomasandlauri@ezclick.net ) 12.109.199.62

This is true and it is of the same look and quality of the ones they sell for 200 dollars. Find someone that has a granger(dont think I spelled it right)catalog. Most any shop or mechanic will have one and if they order it for you it is free shipping. Purchase a 1/15 power motor with a cord or you can make your own. Next, find or make an old shelf (3 by 3 or however big you desire) . Make sure it has some kind of counter top material on it so fat removes easily and the top is gone so you can get some plexi glass to cover it . You will need someone that is a machinest to make an attachment for the shaft of the motor. These people are easy to find and they dont charge much for such a simple part. In fact take the picture out of the catalog with you so they can get an idea of what you are trying to do. Be sure to order the wire brushes before you get the attachment made so the machinest can get the correct size. Order the wire brushes from WASCO. I searched everywhere for that fine of a brush and no one had them. Use two wire brushes instead of one. It worked a whole lot better at reducing burn throughs. If you need a more detailed description then e-mail me and I will give you them. Contrary to what the other guys are saying you can build this flesher well below the cost of buying them from a taxidermy catalog. I know because I built one that is an exact replica of a buddy's flesher that he ordered and all said and done cost him 375 dollars. They use the same parts that I have described and mine is better suited to my needs and is built just as strong. Dont let some of these guys fool you. Sometimes I think they are the ones selling the products we want to build.

Thomas! Really?

This response submitted by George on 5/13/02. ( ) 205.188.209.14

IF YOU CAN GET THE MECHANIC to order your Grainger motor, you may spend only $35 for the motor, but then there's an extra $8 for the spindle adapter and 10 for a soft touch brush. A sheet of Lexan will run you $20 unless you can hook that or share half with a buddy. Now your $70 is almost shot. Knowing the plywood has to be cut (and fiberglassed if you're smart - and we aren't counting the cost of THAT), you'll spend over half a day getting it up and running. In that time I could make over $200 doing a duck mount. Maybe the fuzzy Clintonesque math works out for you, but as for me, I understand the simple fact that doing business has some inherent costs that have to be endured.

Archives

This response submitted by Jason on 5/13/02. ( jbranch_04@yahoo.com ) 67.249.55.185

Search the archives under wire wheel and bird flesher. I built mine for about $70 using tips from previous posts. The motor, shaft arbor, and wire wheel came from Grainer. For my box I used a clear plastic storage box from Walmart $4. You can build the box out of plywood, but you have to apply resin or polyurethane. The supply house models are built from motors 1/10 hp to 1/70 hp. I used a 1/20 hp, shaded pole motor that turns 1550 rpms and costed about $30. Mine works fine, but I ran into a few snags along the way. If you can afford it, I would suggest buying one from a supply house b/c it's easier. However, if you don't have a lot of cash you may want to devote the time. Besides, you have less invested if you decide to not stick with it. Email me if you need help.

Now What Beginner ........

This response submitted by . on 5/16/02. ( ) 208.135.164.204

Can mount a duck and get 200$ out of it?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu