Wood Duck Crown/Hood Grooming

Submitted by Geoff on 5/15/02. ( semostickbow@yahoo.com ) 12.110.253.50

I've searched the archives and can't find my answer. I just finished my first wood duck drake and am pleased with the results except for one thing. The drakes hood or crown isn't groomed the way I'd like for it to. In all the reference photos the drake's feathers come together nicely in back where as mine looks like he's been riding in a car with the window down. I've tried to groom, but am not seeing any results. All help is welcome.

Thanks,

Geoff

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

5 easy steps

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 5/15/02. ( ) 63.225.184.191

To get the crest to lay right you need to:
1) make sure the neck skin is fleshed and de-fatted very thoroughly so that the quill butts on the skin side are free to move around.
2)make sure the skin is moist.
3)make sure the underlying structure of the head/neck union is correct and smooth.
4)taxi the skin correctly.
5)use caulking (or some other form of hide paste) to lock the skin in position and to hold the feather butts however you set them.

That should do it. And, of course, it helps if the bird hasn't been shot in the head ...

Nancy M.

Maybe it's just me

This response submitted by George on 5/15/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.104

But aside from Nancy's methods, I seem to have trouble more easily when I use certain brand name artificial heads. Some of the head anatomies don't lend themselves to full crests the way others do. But then again, it may be buzzards' luck on my part causing the problems.

not just you

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 5/15/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.150.101.245

Now you know the reason I cast my own ducks heads off the original duck. Can't beat the fit. You should try it some time George LOL.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu