grease seapage around duck eyes

Submitted by Todd Scott on 5/20/02. ( ) 63.97.240.1

I have mounted several hanging duck mounts for myself and friends. I have had a couple leak grease around the eyes and beak. I am doing a good job of defatting on a wire wheel, but I havent done the insides of the head. Does this area need to be defatted, or is the dry presereve adequate.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

YES!

This response submitted by Grouseman on 5/20/02. ( jabratt@citlink.net ) 170.215.11.106

You need to hit ALL areas on your ducks. I even hit the bones in the legs and wings. Don't forget to hit the head with dawn also.

What kind of clay?

This response submitted by Stefan Savides on 5/21/02. ( stefan@AvianDesign.com ) 206.157.143.98

If you used oil-based clay to set the eyes and fill the head, you could have oil leakage around the eyes when the mount gets exposed to heat. If that's the case it would be my advice to switch to a non-oil base filler. Magic sculp, sculpy or critter clay will work, to name a few.

Artificial Head

This response submitted by Jeff Nelson on 5/21/02. ( stuffinducks@yahoo.com ) 198.26.118.37

Sounds to me like you are still using the real head. Are you not? If so, I would recommend going to a cast head, I personally think it will help in the long run. If not, you need to get the skull area super clean (all meat and fat) and de-fat the head skin area, as the rest of the hide. Do this and the rest of the comments made above and you should not go wrong.

Later Jeff

more info

This response submitted by todd scott on 5/21/02. ( ) 32.103.70.112

I am using an artificial head and critter clay. Do you turn the head inside out and actually flesh it.

You got it.

This response submitted by George on 5/21/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.134

You turn the head inside out and actually flesh it. ALL OF IT.

And still grease leaks ?

This response submitted by Gary Pegg Australia on 5/23/02. ( ) 63.34.218.11

lm surprised that despite the fact that you are useing artificial heads and non oil clays, you still have a grease problem around the head.?

l can only speculate that surplus oil is leaching to the lowest point of the mount , and since these are ''dead bird ''mounts, ultimately this is to the head region. Hence you are seeing signs of grease at the exit points ,such as eye and the bill seams.

Are you washing in degreasing agents , and soaking in petroleum spirits before tumbling.?

lf you are using foam bodies and rubber necks ,as most people do these days, their is little absorption of any of the grease that appears to be happening in your mount and it may well be funneling downwards to the head.
One trick Frank Newmyer showed me many nears ago was to wrap a piece of paper toweling around the bird body before insertion and closure of the mount , simply for grease absorbtion purposes.

But regardless, l think your real issue is still with residue grease in the feather tract areas --so as has been pointed out already, make sure you wheel everything out , all over the skin, and wash and degrease well.

dry preserver coating........

This response submitted by steve in geneva on 5/23/02. ( ) 205.152.57.135

will also absorb minor grease, as will the foam body itself, if the form has been sanded, and of course the tow & string handmade bodies are all but sponges. but the idea is to defat/degrease 98.9 % and let these "backups" keep you out of trouble if you miss some portion.
i'll bet gary peg is right, though. overlooked fat is probably dripping and its running down the inside of the skin to the head area.

Hanging duck mounts ?

This response submitted by Tim McLagan on 5/25/02. ( tim@mclaganstaxidermy.com ) 66.62.156.13

You must be talking about dead bird mounts, and if so you are not defatting your birds properly, and the greese is running down from the body to the eye holes and around the bill. Tim

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu