Chicken Feet

Submitted by Leo on 01/06/2004. ( ) 152.163.253.3

I'm trying to make chicken feet jewlery. How do you dry them out? I read somewhere about salt curing. Is that just burying them in salt?
How do you do this and ruffley how long does it take to fully dry?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Salting them, they will form moisture in damp humid weather

This response submitted by John C on 01/06/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

You would be far better off injecting them with Masters Blend, 2 part epoxy from Research Mannikins. This will lock the oils and grease into the leg.

Chicken feet

This response submitted by George on 01/06/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.162

Good luck. Chicken feet are extremely fatty and anything you use is likely to still leak oils. They use chicken feet in cooking, you know? If you want a chicken foot, best bet is to cast one. Game chickens, pheasants, bantams, etc. are one thing, but a broiler sized chicken is just plain bad news.

George beat me to it...

This response submitted by Raven on 01/06/2004. ( Raven@trillium-hills.com ) 24.150.166.254

I was gonna say to just mold and cast them - if you are doing this as a craft item for sale - just the savings in time alone will greatly offset the cost of making the molds - plus you have a never ending, reliable supply of feet.

I'm interested in your jewelry

This response submitted by Brad Hunter on 01/06/2004. ( BradShellyHunter@aol.com ) 205.188.209.74

We have a gift shop of unusual items along with our taxidermy shop. Can you e-mail me with info on your jewelry? I am VERY interested.
Thanks!

Maybe a in a month or so....

This response submitted by Leo on 01/07/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.162

Well, once I can figure out the chicken foot thing ;) I'll be more than happy to send you a list.
I should have an array of necklaces, chopsticks(hair), back scratchers and some other items.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu