Bird flu question

Submitted by Larson on 11/1/05 at 12:08 PM. ( ) 12.106.25.202

Does anyione know?

Is this virus a danger if the bird has been frozen. Im going to search the net for more info but anything any of you know would be a help.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Larson

This response submitted by George on 11/1/05 at 1:02 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

The bird flu is a virus and freezing has no impact. MOST birds have some type of virus and to date, there's still no reason to ASSUME that this strain is going to cause "the big one" the media is perpetuating. You should always take precautions when working with ANY animals and birds are no exceptions. When you cut them open, feather particles can be inhaled that cause major damage, discomfort, and possibly death, so you should be wearing a dusk mask.

Bird Flu Does NOT equal 7 BILLION Dollars

This response submitted by al on 11/1/05 at 1:11 PM. ( ) 207.67.145.201

Avian Flu has not even made the big mutation.

What ever happened to SARS?... nuttin'

Fearmongering at it's worse... something stinks in Washington DC.

George

This response submitted by Larson on 11/1/05 at 3:01 PM. ( ) 12.106.25.202

That's kind of what I have gathered from what I read today. My major concern is the fact that I have a bird that a customer brought in and it is a very nice full plumed specimen of a red head. The problem is that other then the wounds that it got when my customer shot it I cant find any, yet the breast appears to be atrophied to the point that it has a sharp breast bone and very little muscle left. The guy told me that he shot it in flight so it didn't appear to be a cripple. What would you do in a situation like this. I told the guy that im not sure that I will mount it, because I believe that it was sick. On the other hand it could have suffered a number of other problems to cause this. I guess what I am wondering is what are the tell tail signs. What should a hunter or a taxidermist be aware of when taking in a bird.

Larson, wanna make a bet?

This response submitted by George on 11/1/05 at 6:37 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

When you open the bird up, eviscerate it. Take out the gizzard and carefully open it up on a white paper towel. Go through ALL the contents and remove the sand and gravel. I'd almost guarantee you that you will find lead pellets in that gizzard. If the bird has little or no fat (what fat tendrils it has are golden yellow strings), this is classic lead poisoning in ducks. For a taxidermist, they are superb creatures as you won't have much to defat and they mount just like any other duck. For the duck, however, it was just on a slippery slope downhill to starvation and death.

George

This response submitted by Larson on 11/2/05 at 7:54 AM. ( ) 12.106.25.202

That thought had crossed my mind too. I'll let you know if you are correct.

Botchalisim?

This response submitted by Tim on 11/4/05 at 8:16 PM. ( ) 63.228.193.129

What about botchalisim? I know birds around here get it like every 7 years or so. Not transmitted to humans.

another bird flu question

This response submitted by Ian on 11/9/05 at 5:06 PM. ( bulletdog2005@aol.com ) 195.93.21.39

Hello, I've just started to learn taxidermy,Mounted my first bird ,a jackdaw ,it looks good for a first go, anyway i shoot birds with my .22 air gun to keep my ferrets going in feeding,i usually weigh the bird then skin it and feed the carcas to the ferrets,freeze the skin till the form arrives , anyway, with this bird flu i'm having second thoughts about shooting more birds and bird taxidermy. i may switch to mammals , for feeding the ferrets and taxidermy, [plenty of rabbits in winter],just wondering about other peoples thoughts on this.Great forum !

Bird flu again!

This response submitted by IAN on 11/10/05 at 3:05 PM. ( bulletdog2005@aol.com ) 195.93.21.39

I forgot to say live in Scotland !

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu