grouse eyebrows

Submitted by bird-man on 11/3/05 at 2:25 AM. ( ) 81.197.176.15

i'd like to know how you pro's do the swollen "eye-browses" of ruffing grouse,capercaillie etc. i've tried all from foam to sculpting epoxy,but none of them really satisfied me. is there any true-like way to duplicate them? thanks!

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

EASY!

This response submitted by Bjorn Ivar Hansen on 11/3/05 at 3:31 PM. ( ) 80.202.30.94

I mix transparent silicon with the red color that is right for the different spieces and then I mix in sawdust until you get a thick paste. Put this mixture in a syringe and apply in layers!
Hope this can help you?
And remember practise makes perfect! :o)

Wops!

This response submitted by Bjorn Ivar Hansen on 11/3/05 at 6:08 PM. ( ) 80.202.30.94

I forgot to tell you that you take a pin to make the structure on the eyebrows. I have mounted lots of norwegian grouse,and lots capercaillies, since these birds are the most hunted here in Norway!
Hope this helps you a little bit?!

what does the sawdust do

This response submitted by jon on 11/3/05 at 6:11 PM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidery ) 24.182.109.143

never tried this, but it seems logical.. so i may give it a go. But what purpose does the sawdust hold, and how fine of a sawdust are you using?

Thanks Bjorn!
Jon~

Sawdust

This response submitted by Bjorn Ivar Hansen on 11/3/05 at 6:25 PM. ( ) 80.202.30.94

When you use sawdust you make the eyebrows stronger and it helps to get the right teksture on the eyebrows, with the help of the pin. Put the pin into the silicon that you have applyed on the bird and pull it slowly out again. I tryed first on som paper to get it right. When you get it right, it looks great.! just try to get the right colors. Parden my english if some of the words is wrongly written but I`m norwegian! :o)

Woops again!

This response submitted by Bjorn Ivar Hansen on 11/3/05 at 6:28 PM. ( ) 80.202.30.94

Do not use the sawdust that look like fine dust, but the grains should be about 2-3 milimeters.

Black paper.

This response submitted by Bjorn Ivar Hansen on 11/3/05 at 6:32 PM. ( ) 80.202.30.94

And remember to use black paper when you practise, because the color will look different if you mix it on white paper. Black paper for capercaillie, and other colored paper to other birds!

Thank you...

This response submitted by bird-man on 11/4/05 at 9:54 AM. ( ) 81.197.176.15

...very much Björn! I'll give it a try,absolutely! And hey, don't mind your english,I'm from Finland, so we're in the same boat! =) And i think we taxidermists understand eachother very well, no matter if our spelling or writing isn't 100% accurate! Keep writing, so will I!

p.s Skandinavians rule.....=)

Silicon?

This response submitted by OJ on 11/4/05 at 12:15 PM. ( ) 64.108.146.33

Is this silicon calk from a tube, or some other product?

silicon calk.

This response submitted by Bjorn Ivar Hansen on 11/5/05 at 3:36 AM. ( ) 80.202.30.94

silicon calk from a tube yes. Use the silicon that is made for bathrooms. Thats my fovorite to use. It gives you more workingtime.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu