eagle feathers

Submitted by thincrow on 11/3/05 at 1:04 PM. ( thincrow1@yahoo.com ) 64.252.163.35

just wandering if any have feathers or bird pre law i'm native american and it takes 3 to 4 years ot get a bird i'm just asking if anyone knows or have no disrepect for you or the bird (eagle)

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

thincrow

This response submitted by Larson on 11/3/05 at 2:13 PM. ( ) 12.106.25.202

You know this isn't legal don't you. I know you can have feathers because of your heritage, but its not legal for one of us to have them or to give them or sell them to you or anyone. When you do get feathers through the proper channels you will get the papers to go with them, if you don't have the papers the feathers are considered "Black Market". Don't do it! Even you need to have the proper paperwork with these feathers. This keeps native Americans from inadvertently creating an illegal market the feathers.

You may be able to speed up the preocess by talking to your state DNR or state TIP representative. Anything they have will have legal seizure documents on them and that is all you need.

You cannot just have them.

This response submitted by Rorie on 11/3/05 at 10:25 PM. ( ) 67.141.92.228

Sorry Bud, but you should know they must come down thru tribe council. You cannot just have them either.

You must never hang them from your rearview mirror, I saw a Sac western Iowa kid who thought he was above the law. Even though he had it legally, he displayed it outside of the respected ritual.

The feathers are to be gaurded and cared for, not tossed around, not something to brag about.

Under guidence of tribal leaders you may gather them in ritual.

Dig a hole, conceal yourself and catch the eagle and remove just one feather, releasing the eagle unharmed. You may bait the eagle with fresh fish and you must catch the eagle by bare hand.

That is the law, that is how it is done.

I hardly believe you have such disrespect to ask how to get around the rules.

No it's disgusting that you did such. You don't deserve a feather or feathers.

Go to your tribal leaders and request guidence.

Forgot to add.

This response submitted by Rorie on 11/3/05 at 10:32 PM. ( ) 67.141.92.228

I have my great, great, great Grand Fathers (13 feathers from the father bird) headdress, it has been passed down to me, I honor it with carefull storage and care out of direct sunlight, in a case with UV filter glass. The stem of each feather is clad with rawhide and bone shaft and bead. Beads are tourquoise and other great stones. All bound into dress with elk leather chewed by great, great, great Grandmother. There are seven streamers of scalps.

I am sure someone would find it offensive, the souls of these seven are held within the scalp.

And then yo want to cheapen the honor by trying to get around the laws.

You are discusting.

One time

This response submitted by Triple BB on 11/3/05 at 10:46 PM. ( ) 69.146.48.45

In Canada the laws are considerably less stringent. I was getting fuel one time at a gas station and I noticed this Golden Eagle sitting on the shelf next to the guys head. I asked if it was legal to have eagles up there. He said that one got whacked by a car. Apparently with the right paperwork, they can be possessed. At any rate, the guy let me hold the mount and check out the feathers. I wish I'd had him take a picture so I could've posted it on a few web sites to get some folks fired up...

RORIE

This response submitted by Tenbears on 11/4/05 at 9:45 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

It is nice to see you hold the honor of the past in high regard. However the capture of the eagle as you described is one held Primarily by the Nez Pierce, and a few others. HOWEVER. it is not the ceremonial beliefs of all tribes. There are many tribes that attain feathers in other ways. including hunting the scared bird. Weather you choose to believe it or not. These religious right are just as respected as yours. and just as legal within the proper channels.
Yes, Thincrow, you need a permit, and the feathers can only be used for bono fidei ritual.

Back to you Rorie, You should be ashamed of yourself. I am for you. You know nothing about Thincrow. Not his tribe nor clan, you may, or may not understand their rituals, or beliefs. Yet you are willing to proclaim your disgust. Here in public in front of all the white eyes. The Indian has suffered enough humiliation, and degradation, without those among us fueling the fire. TAKE YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE ASPHALT. Ask Thincrow of his heritage ask of his rituals, and beliefs find who he truly is. We are few. Brothers need to unite. Not divide.
Tell Tenbears of your Beliefs, your rituals, I will Know who you are, I will know your tribe, and clan. Because I have sat in council with the great Chiefs of all the clan. and spoke, and sweat, and chanted. I have known my brothers. and remember them all. I hold the rituals of all sacred.

Triple BB

This response submitted by Scott on 11/4/05 at 3:32 PM. ( ) 199.216.98.82

You are correct. My last permit for an eagle was obtained in about 10 minutes. Where I am the procedure is to show FandW the bird, fill out a form and pay $10.00 for the permit. Provided there is no evidence of it being shot, the turnaround is fast.

Thank You!

This response submitted by Gaylen Whitewolfe on 11/6/05 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 69.225.181.244

I stumbled across this site by accident?! I don't believe in "accidents" per se. Thank you everyone for clearing up the misinformation that seems to float around. I do not wish to own any of brother eagles feathers......but I would like to know how to dye turkey and other feathers. I have seen the dyed turkey feathers and I would be most content with "imitation" eagle feathers for my projects. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Thank you for any info that you might have for me. I am just learning the ways and I'm thirsty for knowledge.

RORIE

This response submitted by Larson on 11/8/05 at 12:05 PM. ( ) 12.106.25.202

My god talk about busting a guys balls for asking a question. You dont even know him or his reasons. A simple answer is all that was needed. Im not native American, but I know that there are many who just dont know the rules. Its no different then anybody who asks a question they dont know. Dont dog him for not knowing something, teach him.

eagle feathers

This response submitted by thincrow on 11/12/05 at 10:45 AM. ( ) 64.252.162.34

This goes to Mr.FOOL (RORIE)
You do have to go through a mechine man or your tribal council to obtain feathers or a bird. the process takes a long time because of all the obsecales the white man puts us through.My tribes way of getting birds is by hunting them I wish not to do so. It is easy where I'm from. There are many hunters and travelers that seen dead birds on the side of the road I rather honor that bird than me going out killing one.SO you don't me if I have to pick your life over a single feather the feather is picked!

brother Tenbears and Larson I take your words to heart as fools like RORIE just don't understand and he'll never will
pilamiya (thank you)

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu