Ducks

Submitted by Jeff on 11/3/05 at 2:30 PM. ( savage_moose27@yahoo.com ) 192.77.198.12

I was wondering what a Taxidermist needs when mounting a duck? Should you not do anything like taking the breast meat out if you want to get it mounted? Also, how much should you expect to pay for something like this? Thanks.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

leave it all together

This response submitted by Ryan Olson on 11/3/05 at 3:07 PM. ( Ryanolson72@yahoo.com ) 68.74.167.78

leave the whole bird together and protect it's feathers with your life. You should take old nylons and stretch them over your bird. I recomend tucking the head under the wing first. You can pay anywere from 200-400... depends were you go and how good of a job you want done.

Duck care

This response submitted by OJ on 11/3/05 at 3:11 PM. ( ) 64.108.146.33

Freeze it ASAP. Tucking the head ensures the neck wont SNAP off while its frozen and being bumped around in a freezer.

Panty hose is O.K. but youreally want it in plastic so it wont dry out and frezzer burn. Just like any food item you might plan on eating later. Freeze it whole and get it to the Taxidermist.

You have a choice. Eat it or mount it........

No Pantyhose!

This response submitted by Bob Jungman on 11/4/05 at 9:39 PM. ( jungman@pacbell.net ) 4.246.138.59

Do not use pantyhose! As the bird shifts in them it ruffles the feathers and it is difficult to wash them into looking perfect. Much better to as O J said about the head, I put a paper towel around the head for bleeding and tuck it under the wing. Then use a plastic bag and tie it at the end. or a Ziploc bag. Again do not use the nylons or pantyhose. Thanks for asking. Bob

Hummmmmmmmm

This response submitted by Wally on 11/6/05 at 12:18 PM. ( ) 216.251.183.81

I myself wont eat what hits my bench..Bacteria dont make good seasoning..
As for feathers being ruffled in a nylon..I haven't seen it to be a problem,Id rather see then held tight than have a wing or head out once frozen.Wrap the bird in saran wrap and your good to go..
Just remember to cut the bird out of the bag and not try and slide it out backwards .Thats when most mess up feathers. If the birds been harvested its got even more devastation by ballsitics than a nylon will do.

Cones

This response submitted by Phil on 11/6/05 at 1:02 PM. ( wiseone@mtaonline.net ) 12.17.143.216

Nylons do tend to mess up the feathers. I use something I call cones. They also act as a funnel. Take a half pack of beer or soda box and cut the flaps off. Roll it into a funnel shape and tape it. Put the bird in head first. It will hold the wings nice and tight and the bird will bleed down the funnel if put on end. These are great if you get a lot of birds. I use them on my four wheeler when I'm after ptarmigan. And you can stack a bunch of them inside each other. They are a little bulky when you get birds in each one though.

Thanks

This response submitted by Jeff on 11/8/05 at 11:03 AM. ( ) 192.77.198.12

Thanks for all the great info. I shot my first duck Sunday and was thinking of having it mounted until my friend showed me how to snap the neck properly. That kind of put an end to that idea. Now I get to find out if wood duck tastes good.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu