Oscillated turkey

Submitted by Christine on 11/6/05 at 11:13 PM. ( ) 65.19.65.68

I'm just curious if people breed Oscillated turkeys in the US, and if so, who are they? I've seen some at shows and i wonder where they get them from. I raise turkeys now and wouldn't mind adding them too, but i'm sure they would be more than i could afford.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Good luck!

This response submitted by Breck on 11/7/05 at 11:40 AM. ( ) 71.137.6.126

I'm 43 yrs old and when I was a teenager the chicks cost $300 They don't breed well in captivity so the numbers never really got established, then years ago they stopped the importation of new stock so only the existing birds were available and the price shot up to $3,000 a bird. A few years back I went to an exotic bird ranch to thin out their peacocks and was amazed at this guys place, it was like being at the San Diego Zoo complete with all the exotic trees to match the birds native environment. Very impressive! when I asked him if he kept dead-stock in his freezer he gave me a Nene goose and an ocellated hen. I asked him if he raised any others and he said that when the hen died that was the last of them and he could not find any to replace them. This very impressive ranch owner told me "good luck finding any"

There are some here but they are expencive

This response submitted by mjvaden on 11/7/05 at 4:31 PM. ( mjvaden@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

An importer I deal with brought in over 100 occlated's last year I beleave the going price was $3500 a pair. I think to have sucess breeding them you need to keep them in a Flock which gets really expencive but can be done.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu