Customer Question

Submitted by jerry k on 11/12/05 at 6:48 PM. ( ) 66.201.129.10

I had a guy bring me a quail to mount that had run into his window. As i was writing down his info i realized he didnt have a hunting lic to log in my shop book. is this legal for me to take this bird in. Next question ive been getting birds in that have been in the freezers for multiple years by differnt customers. Many of these guys dont have there hunt lic from the respective year they harvested the bird therefor i cant log the # on the fed bird tag or my shop manual. Is this a problem?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Keep

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 11/12/05 at 7:37 PM. ( ) 71.209.66.1

your head down and mouth shut. Get rid of the migratory birds; now. Return them to owners. Take them off your property. The others just get all the info you can and then shut up and start learning how to do things right and do it. Or else call your local warden and explain it to him if you dare. Why are you so far behind (multiple years) and still don't know the rules or are able to follow them? You must be a fool.

well...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/12/05 at 8:21 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.20

I would first check with the local CO in your state to make sure pick ups of legal game is accepted, and if so, how to enter it into your books. If not, like Jim said, dont take it. Also, Id ask how legally taken birds from past years are to be entered. Ask before you get them. If you dont know how to legally receive them, I wouldnt. Also, I dont know if you wanna take in bird work thats sat in a customer freezer that long anyway, as they dont always freeze them right.

Thanks for the encouragment Marsico

This response submitted by jerry k on 11/12/05 at 9:28 PM. ( ) 66.201.129.10

I just started my buisness part time and im still learning, so no im not a fool. Multiple years does not pertain to years in buisness but rather to the years in the freezer read it agian MC. So none of you taxidermist take in birds that a customer has had from years past? Ive run in to this about 4 times since I started 5 months ago. If the guy doesnt have his tag and stamp from that year that he shot the bird you just wont take the work? It seems to me that this could be common as guys will shoot a nice specimen but not be able to afford it right away so they freeze it.

tag number

This response submitted by Mr.T on 11/12/05 at 9:51 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.206

call them back and request a tag number, you don't need to know what year they shot it. If they cant go out and buy a tag, have them pick it up. The rules are not gray hear. You can get hung on this.

Jerry

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/13/05 at 1:37 AM. ( ) 67.138.12.208

I thought I was being to the point. I suggested you check BEFORE taking them, its your a$$, not ours, so I wouldnt wanna steer you wrong. Plus, I then wondered why you would take older specimens, just because my experience tells me its not always best.

Tag number?

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 11/13/05 at 8:55 AM. ( ) 66.211.211.115

Since when are you required to record tag numbers for waterfowl and gamebirds? I do a LOT of birds and have never requested a tag number. PA has some of the most stringent taxidermy laws in the country and we are only required to record a tag number if there is a tag--such as in big game animals. Although the PA law might say a hunting lic. number is required for ALL specimens accepted for mounting the only ones they are interested in are the "tagged" ones. Every state is different so I would check with your Regional Law Enforcement Supervisor to be sure.

sorry.

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 11/13/05 at 2:35 PM. ( ) 71.209.66.1

The clients can use the current years lic. for your purposes, sorry I did read that wrong. My experience is that people who freeze critters years before they can afford to come to you the taxidermist still can not afford it and only came in because you are cheap priced; those client types will be trouble for you from the git go. Avoid them and thier problems is very good advise. Remember you are in business to make a decent wage AND a profit doing what you like to do, you are NOT in business to lose money and be stressed by people that do not appreciate the skills you have and can not afford to pay for them.

Every season....

This response submitted by Breck on 11/13/05 at 8:55 PM. ( ) 71.137.23.19

...opener of waterfowl I get guys that remember "Oh Wow! it's season again and I still got birds from last year in the freezer" and most hunters have a collection of past years licenses in their wallets or in some junk drawer at home.

Federal Regs...

This response submitted by Brad on 11/18/05 at 4:25 PM. ( ) 24.107.218.154

Re-read Paul's comments, and read the CFR again...there is no FEDERAL requirement for license # on a tag. You have enough to do, don't try to do the Fed's job for them.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu