Dealing with waterfowl skulls

Submitted by Dave on 11/12/05 at 7:02 PM. ( ) 199.212.20.3

I wanted to preserve some waterfowl skulls. A search of the archives revealed some helpful information about different techniques, but I was still left a bit curious about dealing with the skull once all of the meat was removed and the skull degreased. Specifically, I wanted some opinions on whether a chemical should be used to seal the skull (e.g laquer?). Is this necessary? Does it preserve the skull better or make it look any better? Im sure there is no right answer, but I'd like to hear some opinions and then decide what will work best for me. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

You can try...

This response submitted by Bird Geek on 11/13/05 at 7:11 PM. ( ) 65.121.141.57

using and artifical duck head that you can get from any taxidermy store. Then all you have to do is cut very carefully around the skull next to the bill. Take and drill a hole half way through the fake head and paint it or buy a painted skull. Then put the glass eyes in the fake head and slide the head in the duck and use super glue gel to put the skin in its orginal spot.

opps

This response submitted by bird geek on 11/13/05 at 7:12 PM. ( ) 65.121.141.57

no just some borax

No sealent is necessary

This response submitted by PA on 11/13/05 at 8:27 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

simply clean the skull with dermestid beetles, soak in ammonia to degrease and clean, and dry out and store in a box to keep dust off. Skeletons/skull prepared this way will last indefinitely - no consolident or sealent is necessary.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu