WOW, Possession limit? What a messed up subject

Submitted by Jerry K on 11/20/05 at 1:50 PM. ( ) 63.135.211.66

Ive just spent close to two hours reading posts from the search button on possession limits. I dont think I can trust anyone. Ive got the 50 CFR in front of me and after reading the laws and the posts, ive seen every spin and interpretation on the laws possible, Whats really scary is I called my state guys at ODFW in Salem, OR the other day and they dont even know the laws. I talked to 3 differnt guys and got multiple answers all starting with "Hmmm I think". I even lost a client because they told me I could not mount and sell a wild male quail to a customer that I harvested because he had a female and wanted it mounted with a male. I called the guy and told him sorry and sent back his deposit, I then down loaded the Oregon Administrative Rules and found in 635-200-0100 Sec 1, Sub sec b that I could have legally done this but I can not sell the meat. So who do I trust if the guys enforcing the laws dont even know the laws? It says in 50 CFR 20.92 that you can have as many bird skins as you want, so if you skin the bird out but leave the bill/skull and feet attached does this apply. Im so confused I think weve flogged this dead horse so much we cant even recognize the horse any more, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. There I feel better. Any one know what eye size and color for a farm pigeon?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Jerry, there really IS a simple key

This response submitted by George on 11/20/05 at 1:59 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.137

YOU read the laws until you understand what they're saying. Then when you're confronted on an issue, YOU quote chapter and verse. I've found these same issues here, but in each case, I left the warden with egg on his face (And don't listen to that crap about how the warden will be on the look out for you. After a couple incidents, the wardens quickly learned that THEY'D better have their stuff together.) I have a great relationship with our guys here because they know I KNOW the law and that just because they say something doesn't mean I won't question it. Each year when the state publishes a new book, I read it from cover to cover to insure nothing new has been sneaked in and when I find things omitted, I call them on it. This really is OUR business and we need to be on top of every issue. Wardens are just like you and me and many times they try the bluster when they don't have a leg to stand on.

pigeon eyes

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 11/20/05 at 6:00 PM. ( ) 207.69.136.198

A generic barnyard pigeon usually has 8mm eyes that are blended much like a reversed pheasant eye, meaning that they are yellowish around the pupil and blend to nearly red near the scleral band.

They look orange-red from a distance.

Thanks George and Nacy

This response submitted by jerry K on 11/20/05 at 11:24 PM. ( ) 63.135.211.66

Any thoughts on who carries this type of eye?

Possession Limit Is Not Confusing

This response submitted by Harry Whitehead on 11/29/05 at 7:02 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

The possession limit is "twice the daily limit while in the field". This law doesn't apply to the amount of skins, meat, toenails,beaks or any other piece of wildlife that you may have in your possession at your home or place of business. If you are hunting in Texas and you live in Alabama, you can only kill your daily limit per day but you can have in your possession only twice the daily limit after two or more days of hunting. You can go home and put the skins, meat, or whatever in the freezer and then go hunting again and the same rules apply. The possession limit does not apply once the meat is processed and taken away from the field. AND THIS IS FACT........

Harry

This response submitted by wilson on 11/30/05 at 10:32 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

Harry, have all the states gotten together and made that a rule or are you just referring to the states you mentioned in your post.
In my experience that is not fact!
I have had CO's count birds, I've already cleaned and put in icebox, now granted I didn't have to let them in but the reason for counting wasn't to give me an ata-boy but to write a violation.

In our hunting book under definitions -----possession limit= max. number of wildlife you can have at any time.

Please point me to where it said you may take your possession home and get another limit.
When I tell the CO's, Harry said it is fact, well I don't think that will help hehe.

Yes, It is FACT

This response submitted by Harry Whitehead on 12/1/05 at 8:32 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.137

It IS Federal law that the possession limit is twice the daily limit while in the FIELD. THAT IS FACT. Any agent that tells you any different is lying to you and that would be harrassment. You can have 3000 birds in the freezer at home and the feds cannot do a freaking thing if they are your birds. Your possession limit is related only to your birds while in the field after two or more days of hunting, PERIOD! And that is for all states because it is FEDERAL. The Feds may be checking if you have birds tagged correctly if you are in possession of other peoples birds. Then, they have to have the name and address of the owner of the skins and you should keep a log of this. That is required by federal law. TRUST ME! Tell your CO to call me and I'll guarantee you that I'm correct. 1-859-233-9619

Harry

This response submitted by .. on 12/2/05 at 6:17 PM. ( ) 4.253.44.78

You are way off base on this one. Nowhere in the federal regs does it state "twice the daily bag limit in the FIELD". You pulled that out of thin air.

Sorry, I've been hunting,but Yes It Does

This response submitted by Harry Whitehead on 12/7/05 at 9:18 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

The regs say after two or more days of hunting after the second day of the season which means that you can not have two daily bag limits on the first day of the season. This also includes game that is at a meat processors. Once the game is at your residence, it now longer counts against your possession limit. Do you think that if you have 12 ducks in your freezer at home, you cannot go hunting again until you have done something with them, thrown them away or eaten them? What about doves? After hunting two days and killing 15 doves each day do you think that you can't go hunting again until you've done something with the 30 you already have? You can have 300 in the freezer at home and still go hunting. Now your shop is another matter. You must have tagged all specimens in the shop with the owner etc. ,etc.. IF THIS WAS NOT CORRECT, HOW COME THEY ARE NOT WRITING TICKETS TO EVERY HUNTER IN THE COUNTRY?

harry

This response submitted by wilson on 12/7/05 at 9:22 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.73

Harry you implied you can shoot your limit of birds , take them home and go back out and shoot another limit "You can go home and put the skins, meat, or whatever in the freezer and then go hunting again and the same rules apply. The possession limit does not apply once the meat is processed and taken away from the field. AND THIS IS FACT"
OUT west here we call you the [p] word.

Help me here Harry, when the limit is 3 a day your saying i can shoot 3 , run home ,put them in the house and go shoot 3 more , do the same and so on and be in line with the law?..and not just becouse they can't look in my house?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu