Pheasant wing help for amateur taxidermist

Submitted by Richard from Minnesota, on 11/22/05 at 4:56 PM. ( rmschmidt@mchsi.com ) 12.201.38.203

Is it possible to replace the wing bones on both wings of a pheasant with the bones of another? Someone would like it in the flying position and not standing. The original wing bones are shot up and beyond repair, I removed those. I have the wing bones from a road kill that I could use. Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Richard

This response submitted by wildbill on 11/23/05 at 12:57 AM. ( ) 216.167.140.144

It might be easier using your imagination. I have heard of people using arrow shafts as bone replacements. You could even make them out of wire. I'm sure you could use the other ones but it might be easier on you if you can come up with something else to take their place. As long as it can support the weight of the wing just rebuild it.

another alternative

This response submitted by jon on 11/23/05 at 7:53 AM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy ) 24.182.109.143

so long as you have no qualms about sewing is to completely remove the wing by cutting the skin around the shoulder area. Stay outside the tracts so that you're not killing yourself aligning tracts when you get to sewing.

cut the good wing out of the extra skin and swap them.

sew the new wing onto the old pelt and you're done.

Jon

use thicker gauge wire.

This response submitted by dwl on 11/23/05 at 8:41 AM. ( ) 204.113.19.8

try 11 gauge wire and wrap it to replace the meat that was there, I have done this before works good.

Wing issues

This response submitted by OJ on 11/28/05 at 10:10 AM. ( ) 64.108.146.33

Do u have anything left in the area of the end of the raqdius and ulna? If you can splice into it, the go for it. Just keep the right left and right side upr in mind. Other wise, use two pieces of 6 ga wire secured to your wing wire, to keep yor bends in the right spot. Build up around em to create a natural look

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu