mineral spirits vs. coleman fuel

Submitted by todd on 11/28/05 at 4:04 PM. ( tnels20@sbcglobal.net ) 68.250.2.102

I was taught that after degreasing and washing your bird that you put them in mineral spirits for about 20 minutes, but I was reading in my Breakthrough magizine that some guys use coleman lantern fuel. What would be the over all difference between the two? and what way would give better resaults? I looked with the orange button but I didn't see anything that would compare this. thanks for any help. todd

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Combustion point

This response submitted by ! on 11/28/05 at 4:08 PM. ( ) 12.40.253.102

One blows up faster than the other. Oh, and one stinks more than the other.

Sounds like an explosive idea to me!

This response submitted by Sam on 11/28/05 at 5:27 PM. ( ) 207.177.14.30

You're willing to risk your health, shop, and everything just to displace a little water? Try tumbling or shaking in a bag with borax, then blow dry a little and mount. Mineral spirits and Gas burns much easier than sawdust and borax. This is just my opinion though. Peace~Sam

Me too, Sam

This response submitted by George on 11/28/05 at 6:21 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.131

I get sick every time I see that "I was taught to......". I guess when enough shops burn and enough people die of emphysema they'll stop that stupid assed practice for the sake of saving a little sawdust from getting wet.

so to further sicken George

This response submitted by G-man on 11/28/05 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.72

a one minute acetone bath,prior to borax is out too?Im not trying to ruffle your feathers here-honestly .....but ...I was taught to.. In fact it tweeks my shorts a bit to think of the price paid to be taught incorrectly, as again seems to be the case.

G-man

This response submitted by George on 11/28/05 at 11:21 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

Did your "instructor" also tell you that acetone is one of the most explosive combustibles on the market? How about if you actually smell the fumes from it, you've already damaged the seta in your nasal and bronchial passages? Did he tell you that it is absorbed through the skin almost immediately on contact and it damages the liver? Did he tell you that cosmetic companies discontinued using acetone for nail polish remover years ago because of the imminent dangers posed by this chemical?

Probably not.

Try this one G-man

This response submitted by George on 11/28/05 at 11:24 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

http://www.entheology.org/tips-acetone/acetone.htm

for once,

This response submitted by G-man on 11/29/05 at 2:12 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.72

I dont know what to say.

Rittels Super Solvent

This response submitted by old blue on 11/29/05 at 6:09 AM. ( ) 216.176.108.57

Try the Rittels Super Solvent and give up the stinky gas products. I started this year on the turkeys, wash in dawn soap, rinse, soak in Rittels Super Solvent and blow dry. Works great

thanks

This response submitted by todd on 11/29/05 at 7:27 AM. ( ) 68.250.2.102

I was also wondering if any of you guys pickle your birds too. I was just putting them in saftee acid for 24 hrs. Will this give me better results, or should I skip that too and go with just borax on the skin?

wow ...

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 11/29/05 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 207.69.136.198

After reading that acetone hazards report from George's posted link I feel a LOT better about the stuff.
Aside from its rather distressing tendency to explode, it doesn't sound too bad at all - especially if it's used in small amounts like for cleaning an airbrush. (That's about all I ever do with it.)

*whew*

It's not bad at all..

This response submitted by Scott on 11/29/05 at 1:43 PM. ( ) 199.216.98.82

Two shots of whiskey in the evening do more damage to your liver than a day of washing birds in acetone. It doesn't accumulate in the tissues. Aside from the explosion factor it's pretty benign. Most of the tanning chemicals you use are of a greater detriment to your health. Used in the right conditions, its as safe as anything else.

Nancy, you'd better read it again

This response submitted by George on 11/29/05 at 6:55 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.131

That site was hosted by a Canadian company marketing the product. Take careful attention to the number of posts that imply that the tests have never been actually conducted on HUMANS. Then there's that nasty little disclaimer at the bottom about fools who use and abuse it (can you believe some idiot actually drank it. Reminds me of the guy who guzzled the chemical in electric transformers and later died of cancer.) where it says that "no studies have been made on the long term effects " of the stuff. When all else fails, go back to why the FDA required fingernail polish remover to eliminate the use of acetone in the product.

Here's one from an American firm

This response submitted by George on 11/29/05 at 6:57 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

Doesn't paint quite the rosy picture the Canadians did.

http://hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/acetone.pdf

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu