Rittels Super Solvent

Submitted by wildbill on 11/29/05 at 8:59 PM. ( wildbill24@nts-online.net ) 216.167.135.228

This product was mentioned in the previous post. I was just wanting the inside scoop on this product. Is it flamable? Can the fumes be dangerous if inhaled? Can it be reused and is it expensive? That kind of stuff. I will probably continue to tumble or blow dry, but always looking for something new that works. Thanks.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu


Don't you get it

This response submitted by Rich on 11/29/05 at 9:24 PM. ( ) 70.160.218.25

listen up
there is NO need for ANY solvents . gas . coleman fuel etc etc etc
it doesn;t clean or degrease only displaces a very small amout or water....what is 5 min of extra drying time?


Rich, backoff. since you dont know.

This response submitted by Rorie on 11/29/05 at 10:03 PM. ( ) 67.141.92.228

Great waterbased product. Smells like plastic worms. Mix with water.

Look in the suppliers links above. Rittels.


Ouch!

This response submitted by wildbill on 11/29/05 at 11:05 PM. ( ) 216.167.140.144

Thanks Rorie. I was just wanting some opinions on a product that I was not familiar with.
Rich, I never stated that I use a solvent for cleaning or degreasing, so reread my post and maybe you will "get it". I understand solvents and their purpose. I like to experiment from time to time thats all, that's how I learn. Unless you want to come by and give me lessons. Now, when I want a good scolding I will go to George. LOL.


Hi WildBill!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/30/05 at 10:18 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.9

No - it's not flamable. You mix it 2 fl. ozs. to every 1 gallon of water used - and soak the cape or skin for 30 minutes in it. Then remove it - rinse - and usually I simply place it back into the pickling solution until I'm rady to neutralize and tan. It should be "squeaky clean"!

We do not recommend reusing it. There are no fumes - it's water based. It also is not toxic and safe to dump if you are using city sewage. For septic systems - like any chemical I wouldnt dump it there - when you dump large amounts of stuff in there you over-whelm and kill off the bacteria necessary to break down your wastes. It's like the "asprin example"! One or two aspirins are OK - a whole bottle can kill you!


Thanks for the insight

This response submitted by wildbill on 11/30/05 at 4:31 PM. ( ) 216.167.140.57

Appreciate your time Bruce.


Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu