Help with neck Incision

Submitted by Jerry k on 11/30/05 at 5:44 PM. ( ) 63.135.211.66

Finished a mallard last night and fought that damn neck incision for 1 hour, I sewed twice and still dont like it. The rest of the bird looks great but i cant get the incision right. Ive been reading the archives and liked the idea of wetting the feathers before the sewing. My problem is I work a fire dept and wont get home till the morning and this bird was mounted last night so it will have been drying for 1 1/2 days. Do you think I should try to rehydrate the incisions and redo, or chalk this one up to experince. Its pose the neck is away from the viewer and I think the guy will like it anyway, its just that im not happy with it and I feel like I screwed up. Im about convinced to start skinning out from the skull.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Neck incision?

This response submitted by D.Price on 11/30/05 at 6:12 PM. ( ) 216.166.212.105

The only incision I make on a duck is from the breast bone to the vent. If I can't finish a mount I will wrap it good and put in the fridge or freezer until I can get back to it. But you can try to rehydrate it should be fine.

Don't pull to tight on stitches.

This response submitted by Pat on 11/30/05 at 7:01 PM. ( ) 66.245.15.81

I like to wet the area and comb with a tooth brush. Then use only one thread not a double.Try not to pull to tight. I like skinning the head out and using the real skull or an imatation one. Some are a bitch to pull back over. Once you get used to it it's hard to go back to the neck insion. On phesant though I do it the old way leaving the skull attached. Pat

Neckwork

This response submitted by Matthew Klope on 11/30/05 at 7:17 PM. ( matt.klope@navy.mil ) 138.163.128.42

I make the incision on the back of the neck, it's just easier for me and I do not have to force the skull through the neck and possibly damage feathers. I also wet the feathers and use a small needle and a single thread. If I have to finish a bird at a later date (a day or so) I wrap the head in a wet paper towell and place the bird in a zip loc and in the fridg. It keeps the eyering and incision area moist.

So would you guys think rehydrating the neck will be okay?

This response submitted by Jerry k on 11/30/05 at 7:31 PM. ( ) 63.135.211.66

Freeze it..

This response submitted by Jim Kimball on 11/30/05 at 8:32 PM. ( ) 68.113.228.89

Yes,Rehydrate the area with a needle or anyway you can get water on the skin... You might want to go ahead, if you havn't already and take our your stiches out to rehydrate it that way...
Then place the mount in a plastic bag and freeze it till your ready to work on it again... This will keep it from drying..
If you did any clay work on the head... be careful after it is thawd it will be alittle soft, but it will stiffen back up..

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu