type of duck

Submitted by John on 11/30/05 at 6:58 PM. ( ) 69.157.76.54

Hi on a recent outing for ducks I harvested a strand look duck.Not sure what it is.It is larger than most black or mallards,the breast has the same fethers of a black duck,the tail from the legs back is white the wing tips are whit the back from the shoulders back is a irridesent blue green the neck is white and the head is green and brown,the bill is black and grey and the legs are orange.My first though was it was a muskovey duck butthe breast fethers are the same as a black.Some suggested to me that it might be a colour face of a brant but I doubt it.This bird was with a large flock of black and mallards and flew alot faster then them.Thanks for any input John

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Do yo have a pic of the duck

This response submitted by Cody on 11/30/05 at 9:46 PM. ( www.teamwildwings@yahoo.com ) 68.110.164.150

If you have a pic of the duck then I think you would have a better chance getting an I D on it. I would guess its a domestic cross.
Cody

Muscovy X

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 11/30/05 at 10:43 PM. ( ) 207.69.139.138

It sounds to me like a muscovy crossed with a mallard or maybe with a black duck.
That particular mix is said to make the best eating of ALL ducks, by the way! Some people crossbreed them on purpose just for the meat.

Muscovy

This response submitted by Travis on 12/3/05 at 9:43 PM. ( ) 63.25.4.36

I thought that Muscovies weren't able to fly very good. If this is true then it can't be one if it flew faster than the mallards. Just my 2 cents worth

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu