Bird Talons

Submitted by Susan Thomas on 3/22/06 at 1:25 PM. ( sthomas@mbi.hcs.k12.sc.us ) 206.219.151.42

Need some help. I am at a public school and we had a dead bird end up in our court yard and would likre to save the Talons? How do I clean them and do I need to do something to preserve them?

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

bird

This response submitted by tyler on 3/22/06 at 2:55 PM. ( ) 206.176.103.199

what kind of bird is it?

You need a permit first

This response submitted by James Parrish on 3/22/06 at 3:01 PM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

You need to contact a wildlife officer to get a permit before you do anything.

Careful....

This response submitted by Eddie the Stuffer on 3/22/06 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 142.167.163.134

Dead bird eh ?
Be careful...West Nile and all that,ya never know
I'm always leery of "dead" birds....the ones not harvested by a hunter I mean
DNR (or equivalent game warden/natural resources) permit as well,if it's of the raptor species.
I'm assuming it is as you've stated it has "talons".
So,your question is how to clean them and/or preserve them.
Well,you can just cut them off,they'll be fine.
Any hanging tendons you can pull out,then by all means do so.
Just air dry and you should be good to go.
:)
Best of luck
Eddie the Stuffer

James Please!

This response submitted by John on 3/22/06 at 4:45 PM. ( ) 66.156.174.124

are you serious? I think your wrong on that one.

John

This response submitted by jon on 3/22/06 at 4:51 PM. ( ) 65.29.2.231

odds are good that the bird is protected, as the greater amount of species are. I think james hit it on the head, especially since the bird was "found" on the playground. and if it is an unprotected species, wear gloves when handling it, and at least put it in a plastic bag and freeze it for a while.

Yes, James is right

This response submitted by Nancy on 3/22/06 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 207.69.137.23

Schools also need to have a permit to posess protected species of birds (or their nests, eggs, parts, etc.) The difference is that a school can GET a permit without too much trouble.
Around here, (WA) the game dept. is fairly lenient about allowing an educatioal facility to posses the bird in the freezer while the permit application is being processed, but they can't have it mounted or display it until everything is in order.

I'm not sure about other states.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu