Deformed turkey?

Submitted by gary on 7/27/06 at 8:42 AM. ( afieldtaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 68.168.121.92

I just skinned out a turkey that was very lopsided! When you but it on its back it would just rollover. I am pretty sure the turkey was naturally like that because when i removed the whole breast it looked like it had grown like that. The fact that it was so lopsided mad it A LOT harded to skin out. Anyone ever had this occur on a turkey or any bird? Could it possible have been from been frozen wrong? Is there any later problems during mounting from the skin being lopsided all its life? Thanks

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu

Yes

This response submitted by Robbie on 7/27/06 at 11:06 AM. ( robbie@longspur.net ) 68.17.157.207

Yes, it can be from the way it was frozen. But, all turkeys, even freshly killed turkeys tend to not lay flat on their backs. Regardless, you should hang the turkey by the feet when skinning it. It is immensly easier, keeps the skin clean, and doesn't damage the feathers on the back. Also, yes some turkeys are deformed from disease, infections due to wounds, and birth defects. Best of luck to you.

Return to Bird Taxidermy Category Menu