Driftwood Care

Submitted by mark on 9/23/99. ( ) 144.51.111.1

I have yet to find a good answer ...Could someone please tell me if I need to "treat" driftwood for my mounts
and does it need sealed. I'm kind of new to this and I don't hear or read much, if anything on this subject. Is there any "kind" that I should or shouldn't use??
Thanks Alot.

Return to Category Menu

Try this..

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 9/23/99. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 206.68.132.235

Most purchased driftwood is already bugproofed but if I collect it myself I let it dry out in the sun then I enclose it in trash bags and saturate it with bug killer. Then I seal up the bags. I usually do it X 2 before using the wood.

What kind of wood?

This response submitted by John C on 9/23/99. ( ) 204.180.103.34

If its cedar I dought that you will find any bugs. If it be hardwood? You had better bug proof it. I use malithian and permathims. JC

Well John...

This response submitted by Courtney on 9/23/99. ( ) 207.200.50.8

actually I had a big problem with cedar drift wood once. Better
bug-proof it just in case.

driftwood

This response submitted by Rob on 9/24/99. ( ) 204.111.53.234

How about simply freezing any pieces that will fit in the freezer.I usually let the driftwood in the freezer for a couple of days to allow for complete solid freezing.Maybe I'm lucky but never had a problem.The quick change in temperature seems to even kill any eggs also.

Freezing will not work...insecticides can

This response submitted by Mike on 9/24/99. ( pelcarts@aol.com ) 152.163.188.34

Freezing will not work on most insects, larvae or eggs that are found in wood. Granted, southern insects may not be as durable as those found in the north, but many of the beetles over-winter in dead wood or just under the bark. To experiment, go outdoors during the dead of winter and find a dead tree with bark attached. Pull off some bark and you should find a few beetles. Bring them indoors, let them warm up and see what happens.

Here in Missouri, I have seen butterflies in January during mid winter warm ups.

Oven heat will work to kill insects, but be careful, wood will start to smoke(burn), even at low temperatures

The insecticide advice is sound. Try to find and use wood that does not have decay already in place. If you find a piece of wood that you would love to use, it can be coated with a wood preservative. What I have found successful is to use a compound called Quik Poly that I use for foot injection and to harden decaying wood. They can be reached at 314-327-8450. I have commented on the usage of this product for foot injection on this forum previously that may be of help. Good Luck!

Mike

Nuke it

This response submitted by JL on 9/27/99. ( wmlures@xtdl.com ) 140.186.49.120

All the above answer have merit and will work, but if the piece of driftwood will fit in the microwave...nuke it for three minutes. Popcorn starts to pop after two minutes. I dont know any bug or eggs that can survive that. Good luck JL

freezing again

This response submitted by Rob on 9/28/99. ( ) 204.111.54.113

I understand what your saying about the critters coming back to life,but I have never had a problem with this method the past 10 years.I am from a state with not real harsh winters though.The freezer is a hard quick sustained freeze the insects cannot withstand. Hey you can warm up dormant winter rattlers,but the ole kenmore deep freezer fixes them also.

Return to Category Menu