Anyone else getting this email?

Submitted by Jeff @ Jeff's Taxidermy on 7/2/06 at 11:10 AM. ( ) 216.248.78.66

I received this email from papal today ...
Dear Customer,

This email confirms that you have a pending payment to Starbucks (sales@starbucks.com) $119.88 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *StarbucksStore".

Funny thing is ..I DONT HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT!
IS THIS SOMETHING i NEED TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT OR NOT? Do I need to get in contact with paypal and if so how do I do that?
Thanks for any input on this matter
Jeff

Return to Current Events Category Menu

spam

This response submitted by Jennifer on 7/2/06 at 11:16 AM. ( ) 71.32.142.113

This is just somebody's way of getting you to give out your vital info. Nothing to be concerned about. Don't click the link in the email and delete it. You can report it as spam as well.

I wouldn't give it

This response submitted by Tory on 7/2/06 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 67.48.239.21

too much concern. You need to have an account with Paypal in order to do any money transactions via their service. The fact that it says "pending" payment tells me someone may be trying to bill your email account, but will have no luck doing so. If it compels you, you can contact Paypal through their website. Just type in Paypal in your searchbar and you will find the site. They have a "contact" button which you can use to forward your email to them, just to let them know about your situation.
Hope this helps...
Tory

THANKS

This response submitted by Jeff @ Jeff's Taxidermy on 7/2/06 at 11:27 AM. ( ) 216.248.78.66

Thanks for the info Jennifer and Tory.
I figured it was spam but ya never know anymore.
It would be nice if these people could get caught and pay for their crimes.I'm sure they have got a few people to bite on things like this.
Have a good and safe holiday to all of you.
Jeff

Called Phishing

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 7/2/06 at 12:18 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.200

Or something like that. You see that someone is trying to bill your account. So, you go to the site listed and answer all the questions including your account number and password. Now they can use your account to bill you for their purchases. You don't have an account so it doesn't make sense. But, to someone with an account they could be vulnerable.

Forward it to

This response submitted by Jessica on 7/2/06 at 8:05 PM. ( horseelady_jessie@yahoo.com ) 207.231.119.49

spoof@paypal.com and they will send you an email about what it is. I have a paypal account and have gotten a few phishing emails from a website claiming to be paypal but I knew it wasn't. If it's truly from pay pal it will say "Dear (your name)" or "hello (your name)" Paypal always uses your first name in an email. If you do click on the link to the website see if the address is www.paypal.com if not it's fake. Don't put any personal info. in though, that's how they get it and charge your credit cards. Hope that helps!

Return to Current Events Category Menu