God bless the good stewards of the warming earth

Submitted by Jim on 7/6/06 at 9:19 AM. ( ) 65.183.171.197

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=Soj0607&article=060766

July 2006

Taking Global Warming to Church

The archbishop is making global warming a personal challenge.
by David Batstone

Global warming is not an abstract, future crisis. Human beings generate ever increasing amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, producing carbon dioxide and other gases that trap heat and keep it from escaping into space.

Our earth has arrived at a tipping point, and our own generation bears witness to the impact.

That point is worth emphasizing. A Time/ABC News poll shows that only 44 percent of the U.S. public understands global warming as "a serious problem) today. About 54 percent identify it as "a problem for the future.)

To some degree, the mitigation of the crisis among the general public can be traced to a concerted campaign to sow doubt regarding the scientific validation of climate change. Lobby groups from the energy sector fund pseudo-research and ancillary public relations campaigns to promote the view that climate change is a "theory) that is highly contested in scientific circles. The journal Science, however, published in 2004 a survey of serious scientific studies addressing global warming. Of the 928 research studies that have been published on the subject in scholarly, peer-reviewed journals, "none of the papers disagreed with the consensus position) that our atmosphere is getting warmer, and the phenomenon is a consequence of human activity.

This past April Paul Krugman published in his New York Times column a leaked memo that emerged from a 1998 meeting of the American Petroleum Institute. Those assembled—major oil companies and their industry lobbyists—laid out a strategy to offer "logistical and moral support) to individuals and groups that raise doubts about global warming, "thereby raising questions and undercutting the ‘prevailing scientific' wisdom.)

The religious community is not in the media business, but it can do a tremendous amount to provide leadership and effective action to stem the rise of global warming. Local congregations could model new behaviors and make concrete a moral mandate to be good stewards of God's creation.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, proclaimed on BBC radio that the Christian church must do some serious soul-searching on the matter. "I think it's a profoundly immoral policy and lifestyle that doesn't consider those people who don't happen to share the present moment with us,) said Williams.

The archbishop is making global warming a personal challenge. He drives a Honda Civic petrol-electric hybrid and has set up an environmental task force in the Anglican Church to review the carbon footprint that his national office and individual congregations are emitting.

"We are trying to walk the walk as well as talk the talk,) Claire Foster, the Anglican Church's environmental officer, told The Times of London. "By 2008 we need to show a measurable reduction in consumption by church buildings themselves,) she added.

A number of new tools can help religious communities to make global warming both personal and congregational. First off, it is helpful to realize how any one person contributes to carbon emissions. A California-based company, TerraPass, helps consumers measure the carbon footprint of the cars they drive. The company then offers for purchase a "green tag,) which is an investment in a clean energy product like wind power—in equal amount to the amount of carbons emitted by an individual's vehicle.

Organizations can in like manner make every effort to cut their own carbon emissions, then offset the remaining pollutants with clean energy certificates. The grocery chain Whole Foods decided earlier this year to offset 100 percent of its energy consumption with alternative energy. Starbucks also has been on the forefront of the "green tag) movement. For 2006 the coffee company has promised to purchase 20 percent of its power from renewable sources. Of course, no single wind farm has the capacity to supply even a quarter of the 8,400 Starbucks shops across the U.S. But Starbucks does invest in a wind power company the equivalent of 20 percent of its energy consumption, and the wind power company uses that subsidy to offer competitive rates to local energy users. In effect, that is the model of "offset) investments.

Imagine if every religious community in developed nations made it a target to be carbon-neutral. The cumulative effect for alternative and renewable energy would be dramatic. Those efforts also would go a long way to illustrating to Jane and Joe in the pew that global warming is a present threat to our globe that demands immediate action.

David Batstone is executive editor at Sojourners.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

And the purpose of this is?

This response submitted by George on 7/6/06 at 10:24 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.201

Jim, most of us realize you've been drinking the tainted Kool-Aid, but how is it suddenly, after ridiculing the religious "right", you now embrace it when it behooves your cause? Wasn't it you just the other day who was lambasting someone for that exact same reason? Like the good liberal you are, the rules only apply when they benefit you, right?

Rick Carter's daughter has you pegged perfectly. She remarked that Liberalism, in its trueist form, has no less profundity than mainstream religions. To question one so enamored with those teaching is no less than blasphemy to their psyche. You've provided generous proof to her insights. You ridicule the claims of possible discovery of Noah's ark with remarks about the convenience of carbon dating and how it will be used as either proof or lame excuse. I know it probably never entered your mind, but maybe you could give us some insight as to your reaction when and IF global warming is proven to be a hoax perpetuated by humans seeking relevance to their existence and wanting to know they can control natural forces?

Imagine

This response submitted by Alex Sr on 7/6/06 at 11:43 AM. ( ) 66.32.89.172

If we could get all liberals to drive smaller cars powerd by Hydrogen wouldn't that go a longway in reducing carbons ?

Why does it have to be Christians that need to do this and that ?

Maybe if liberals stop farting we will have cleaner air.

oh brother

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 7/6/06 at 12:44 PM. ( ) 71.32.156.208

The churchs also have liberal fools in them that do not know thier as.s from a hole in the ground , so what? proves and means zero.

Did you notice

This response submitted by George on 7/6/06 at 4:08 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.201

It was God bless the "good" stewards. The implication is all too familiar in the liberal world. If you don't bow to their beliefs, you're no longer a "good" steward. If you're conservative, you're a "neocon", but if you're liberal, you're "enlightened".

lol

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/6/06 at 7:12 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

Kind of makes you laugh doesn't it George. The orange button reveals a lot of what "liberals" believe.

DaveT

WOW! Thanks guys!

This response submitted by Jim on 7/6/06 at 8:50 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.197

Capt. Blow Hole; Too bad you were unable to determine the purpose of the post. Neither did Alex. The aknowledgement that global warming exists is not confined to "liberals" as you would have readers think, and neither are the international efforts to deal with it. The scientific debate about whether global warrming is occurring is over except in the minds of people like you with political or economic agendas. Don't you think that congregations are a mix of liberals and conservatives? Ours is. There was NO mention of political affiliation in the article. Diverting the issue to a ridicule of liberals was disappointing...but not a surprise. And you are mistaken once again. I posted NOTHING about carbon dating. If someone else did, good for them. Of course to YOU, carbon dating is probably just more "junk science."
marsicko, you really do earn that title "gestapo catholic" don't you? Your mean mouth indicates that your partisan politics precedes your religion. Why else would a self proclaimed Christian be so hateful towards others(liberals)? You sure didn't learn that in the bible now DID YOU?
OH...Capt. Blow Hole. If it makes you feel better..God bless the NON STEWARDS of the warming earth too. That would unclude all of you pompous AS...all of you gentlemen!(LOL)

Thank you Jim-Bob for verifying that

This response submitted by George on 7/6/06 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.201

When everyone sees you're naked and you're claiming to be wearing the Emperor's clothes, you may as well attack, you've got nothing else to lose. Your credibility left long ago. We weren't talking about normal people who have either or both liberal and conservative ideas. We were talking about ULTRA-liberals like you. (Why does everything you refer to have to do with Hitler, Nazi's and neo's? Isn't your vocabulary sufficient enough to use descriptive adjectives without inveigling?) Actually, I probably understand carbon dating as well as you do, Jim-Bob. BTW, I prefer my name as I don't date my sister. People like you who think they know everything are actually rather annoying to people like me who actually do.

George

This response submitted by Steve on 7/7/06 at 5:23 PM. ( ) 4.252.194.200

Inveigling?

You don't hear that one in the dugout!

Jim

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/7/06 at 7:38 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

Your colors are showing again

DaveT

Your narcissism is showing Capt'n!(LOL)

This response submitted by Jim on 7/9/06 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 69.39.94.75

Blow as hard as you want, but nothing changes the fact that the scientific debate about the existence of global warming has ended, and your opinions on the issue have been thoroughly discredited by the evidence. I know you throw tantrums when you'rewrong, but HEY! Nobody cares now...except your klansmen like daveyBOY.
Hey daveyBOY. Nice post. Full of your usual content-rich wisdom(LMAO). Capt Blow can now admire another one of your hickeys on his a$$.(LOL)

Hey jim

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/10/06 at 6:32 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

Anytime, anywhere bud

DaveT

Don't you have

This response submitted by Jim on 7/10/06 at 7:16 PM. ( ) 216.109.204.225

anger management counseling in your area? Sounds like you're more than ready for it.

no problem

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/10/06 at 10:15 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

I just have a problem wiht slugs

DaveT

Counseling will help you

This response submitted by Jim on 7/10/06 at 10:34 PM. ( ) 216.109.204.225

Name calling is a symptom of anger, which in turn indicates fear...of being wrong... Psych 101. But then you never made it to college did you?

Jim

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/12/06 at 6:23 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

I was not calling you a name. I was simplying making a play off the first animal I could think of that shares the characteristic with you of not having a backbone.

You do nothing but come on here and run your mouth and incite folks all the while remaining too coward to put your name behind your stupidity. YOu are a coward, no name calling just facts bud. If you care too discuss you no who I am and I have several listed ways to contact me... use them or shut up.

DaveT

Yep. A Capt. Blow Hole wanna be.

This response submitted by Jim on 7/12/06 at 8:27 PM. ( ) 216.109.204.225

He doesn't call names either...just "supplies the appropriate adjectives."(LMAO) Actually, I only come on here to level the playing field when you and the other REICH WING radicals start ridiculing and insulting that half of America whose views are contradictory to your own. You conservative extremists WILL NOT get carte blanche(Look it up Einstein!)to post your hateful opinions without a rebuttal. Get used to it daveyBOY because we aren't going anywhere or shutting up. I actually like to keep our posts here in print for all of the good readers to hear both sides of issues. That is, if you can stop the condescending arrogance long enough to discuss issues.
And my name is posted everytime I reply. To whine because I don't post my last name, email address, phone number, social security number or whatever YOU think I ought to doesn't mean SQUAT to me or anyone else. Yes, we all know who you are, and does anyone really care? Me neither.

Like I said Jim

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/13/06 at 6:13 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

You are a coward

DaveT

Your definition of a coward

This response submitted by Jim on 7/13/06 at 7:14 PM. ( ) 216.109.204.225

is totally insignificant.

Jimbob

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/13/06 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

My definition of a coward might be "totally insignificant" but hey so are you

DaveT

But you keep coming back don't you?(LOL)

This response submitted by Jim on 7/14/06 at 8:02 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.137

You took your time to reply to me SEVEN times on this one thread! You just can't find a way to hurt me now can you daveyBOY? "Anytime, anywhere bud"(LMAO) Keep coming daveyBOY. I'll be around to keep you honest.

Make it eight

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/15/06 at 4:42 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

Yep I responded to you Jimbob and will contiue to call you and your cowardice out. Get use to it

DaveT

Thanks daveyBOY

This response submitted by Jim on 7/15/06 at 6:56 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.137

Let's turn back time here daveyBOY. You're the big man who "believes in slapping children across the face if they disobey you"...AREN'T YOU? Would you have the "courage" to do that with other men watching? And you have the gall to call someone else a coward? WOW!

Hey JimBOB

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/15/06 at 11:22 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

Let's stick to the subject bud. And I have never hit or made any claim to hit a kid across the face. But hey I am use to your lying and cowardice attacks.

Sot lets put this out for everyone on the taxidermy site to decide. You post where I have ever said what you claim. If you do I will leave this site for good. If you don't then you take the hike OK bud.

Jim, you are a coward and yes I am a Christian but man do I hope our paths cross and we can settle our dispute face to face you spineless coward. I have had enough of your lying cowardice punk.

DaveT

Temper Temper daveyBOY!

This response submitted by Jim on 7/16/06 at 4:14 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.137

A quick search showed that you have a record of well over 2,000 PILES on the forums, and you're not worth my time to shovel through ALL of that rude and disrespectful BS. I did find a reference to it again in a post of Nov, 2004. Tell you what, we'll leave it just like the WMD's. I didn't find your post and no one found WMD's in Iraq, but I know it's there and you know they're there. HUH? (LOL) You lied to Cecil once when you told him you'd leave if you posted political horsecrap and you didn't leave, so I figure if I did find the post you'd just lie again. Nobody is leaving. And FYI "the subject" was expressing appreciation to Christians for acknowledging the serious problem of global warming. Yeah...I know daveyBOY. You're one of those environmentally brain-dead republicans who consider anyone who puts life over profit as a "tree-hugger." Now about that anger management counseling...

divert all you want

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/17/06 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

You made a claim and you are a liar... but hey thta is probably why you hide behind your keyboard. I am through with you, I have better things to do with my time then to argue with a coward and a liar.

DaveT

You WISH I was lying don't you?

This response submitted by Jim on 7/17/06 at 12:40 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.137

No diversion daveyBOY. I just want to clarify who the liar and coward here is. "Sot lets put this out for everyone on the taxidermy site to decide. You post where I have ever said what you claim. If you do I will leave this site for good. If you don't then you take the hike OK bud." You come back here again and I'll post Name/date/time/and what you said. The C&P should be your ticket out the door...BUD.(LOL)

Yea post it **hole

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/17/06 at 5:52 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

I am so sick of you I cannot wait for your stupidity. So typical of how you respond you don't have a clue what you run your mouth about.

By the way dumba** you better check the IP address as mine never changes as I have DSL. I know the post you are talking about, Sorry stupid it is another Dave. My dad died when he was 36 and he would have never stooped to being a democrat.

Like I said you are a coward and a liar and you have no clue what you are talking about. But hey let's see if you have any inegrity, post it bud and if it turns out to be someone else then it is "your ticket out the door bud" let's see that post.

DaveT

Hey mr. 198.26.118.37[6] (AKA daveyBOY)

This response submitted by Jim on 7/17/06 at 9:10 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.137

You going to LIE and say this(below) wasn't YOUR reply? YOUR numbers are there and they aren't the ones you have now ARE THEY? Yep, back in 2003 you were 198.26.118.37[6]. GOTCHA daveyBOY!

airbrush excercises
Submitted by Mike C on 09/26/2003. ( ) 128.222.32.10
I just recieved my first airbrush. A badger crescendo double action. I have 2 Whitetail heads that I need to finish. I have also purchased all of the paints that I will need they are water based from Mackenzie. I have never used an airbrush before. Are there some excercises that I can use to practice learning the technique before I attempt to point this brush at my heads which I worked very hard on. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike C

Return to Deer Taxidermy Category Menu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paper
This response submitted by Brent on 09/26/2003. ( ) 65.163.125.7
Just start painting...on some paper. play with it, play with the lever to see how the paint flows. The further you pull back the more paint that comes out. You wanna just shade and blend, you don't want your deer to look "painted". I like to thin my paint just a little. I don't think you really need an airbrush lesson to do deer...if it were fish, I would say get a little practice first.

shade and blend!

Brent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Sexton has one
This response submitted by DaveT on 09/26/2003. ( ) 198.26.118.37
I think in Tom's book (fish finishing) there is a page of scales that you can photocopy and the practice on. If not then practice drawing lines, circles, spots, etc... Also draw some circles and practice shading them to resemble a 3D sphere as it would appear with light hitting them from various angles. The start blending colors. Learn how to make green by using different yellows (bright yellow, amber oxider, chrom yellow, etc.) to different blues, get a colot wheel and you are off. Study how differnet colors reflect off of different silvers, perals, etc... the sky is the limit and everything you learn from this "playing around" is useful

DaveT

HERE'S daveyBOY AGAIN. LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS daveyBOY!

Hillary's Visit
Submitted by DaveT on 12/09/2003. ( ) 198.26.118.36
A freind of mine in the Military sent me this. I thought I would share it seeing how a few here want to bash Bush for going to Iraq. I can not confirm the story, but it pretty well matches what some of our deployed folks over there say. Cecil read the last sentence, that is how the troops feel that you support so much, sorry but sometimes the truth hurts you see the vast majority of the troops like President BUSH, and you can not spin that.

DaveT

I can give you a PILE more, but why? Your last ditch effort to hide yourself didn't work. YOU were 198.26.118.37[6] in 2003. And you KNOW I found the post that will be your ticket off of this site. I found it and it was YOU. If you can count that high, #13 is the one I quoted YOU on. I'd love to hear your last words before the forum door hits you in the a$$ on your way out.

Dave Toms, could you please explain something to me? (11/04/2003)
posted by Cecil Baird

You are right
This response submitted by DaveT on 11/04/2003. ( ) 198.26.118.36
There is no hope for me:
I believe in God, and I believe in his son Jesus

I believe life starts from conception and no one has the right to decide whether or not that individual has a right to live

I believe I have the right to not be forced to accept anyone else"s beliefs

I believe in spankings

I believe that homos are just heterosexuals in denial or in the state of confusion or rejection

I do not think that what happened to you as a child excuses your behavior (it might explain why but it does not make it OK)

I do not accept folks burning the flag except as a proper way to dispose of a worn flag

I do not like lying

I believe government should be as small as possible to be effective

I do not believe in double taxation

I do not believe in raising taxes as an answer to every problem

I believe that if you are an illegal alien you should go home... no one here owes you anything

I believe kids should show respect to their parents and elders and that they should get their face slapped for showing disrespect or back talking

I believe schools should teach math, English, reading, writing and leave the sex Ed and moral teaching to the parents

I believe anyone who has never served in the military should keep their trap closed when it comes to running the military, same way I believe if you don't vote... shut up

I do not believe man evolved from apes, I sure as heck know my family didn't

I believe in heaven

I believe in hell

I believe everyone will go to one or the other

I believe in my right to own any firearm I so choose

I believe criminals murder, not guns

I believe in helping folks to help themselves, I do not believe in giving them a free ride

I believe that there is a difference between a man and a woman, and to tell you the truth, I am glad there is

I believe the blood of 1000s of heroes has paid for this country and no one has to right to tell us what they died for

I DO NOT believe in being politically correct

I DO NOT believe in affirmative action

I do not believe the stupid liberal judges in American are the final say in what our forefathers meant when they wrote the Constitution

I DO NOT believe in the use of DP (Had to throw that in there lol)

And I could go on and on and on

Yes I am a conservative, some folks would say a Bible Thumper, some would say a bigot, and some might even say I am delusional

But hey that is me and I am not about to let a bunch of sobbing, ignorant, liberal weenies take me off course

So you are right Cecil there is no hope for me...

I like it that way

DaveT

Have a nice day...SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Well Jimbob

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/18/06 at 7:13 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

Jim I have had two different cable listing... But hey we both know the post you were referring too don't we :-)

Just where in any of the posts above that you wasted Ken's space on, did I say "believes in slapping children across the face if they disobey you" as you quoted me?
Yea I believe in spanking so what? That is a far cry from what you said. The fact is you can't produce one single post saying so and like I said before that makes you a liar. You're a twisted liberal freak that lacks a spine and like I said above I hope you are exposed one day. Coward.

DaveT

Just WHERE? OH BROTHER!

This response submitted by Jim on 7/18/06 at 11:00 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.137

"I believe kids should show respect to their parents and elders and that they should get their face slapped for showing disrespect or back talking" That's a FAR CRY from spanking now isn't it daveyBOY. Your words. "...they[kids] should get their FACE SLAPPED for showing disrespect or back talking." YOUR WORDS daveyBOY. Black and white...C&P. Name, date, and IP numbers. It's all there. Now let's see if you will honor YOUR OFFER to leave this forum forever. I'm going to be watching to insure that you DO!

Like I dais Jimbob

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/19/06 at 2:56 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

You are a liar and a coward. I do believe that kids should get their face slapped for backtalking or disrespecting their parent so what? That is hardly the same as what you claim I said "believes in slapping children across the face if they disobey you"

I have never said that a child should be slapped for disobery, but for backtalking their parents, yep I sure do. That whould be a kid of aroung 12 or older backtalking usually a teeen so what is or was your point.

Like I have said 100 times now you are a liar and a coward but hey jimboy (or should I say cecil?. I am through with you coward, call me if you like my # is 940 733-4236. Do you raise fish also JimBob? LOL

DaveT

You need counseling and medication

This response submitted by Jim on 7/19/06 at 6:57 PM. ( ) 65.183.171.137

"I do believe that kids should get their face slapped for backtalking or disrespecting their parent so what? That is hardly the same as what you claim I said "believes in slapping children across the face if they disobey you" LMAO! You're a real piece of work daveyBOY. First you tried ducking this with the IP number BS. Then next you tried to duck it with the "spanking isn't slapping in the face" BS. And now you're STILL trying to weasel out with the "disobeying isn't the same as talking back." You have your back to the wall daveyBOY and your BS isn't getting you anywhere. Desperately trying a diversion to suggest I'm Cecil? He's got your number too BUD. It's ZERO! No Christian I ever heard spews the mean-spirited insults that are archived in these forums FROM YOU. Your documented verbal violence is consistent with your belief in child abuse. Get that counseling daveyBOY. You're a bomb waiting to go off.

Jimbobby

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/23/06 at 8:22 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

Just got back from vacation... I see nothing has changed you're still who you always were/are.

DaveT

Return to Current Events Category Menu