Alexander Hamilton on government

Submitted by Paul Rusin on 7/18/06 at 11:36 AM. ( ) 74.65.23.98

"The instrument by which it [government] must act are either the "AUTHORITY of the laws" or "FORCE." If the first be destroyed, the last must be substituted; and where this becomes the ordinary instrument of government there is an end to liberty!" --Alexander Hamilton

It is my contention that we no longer have authority of laws, our courts degenerating into personal beliefs rather than Constitutional parameters. Here in NYS this has been true for many decades now, since the administration of Nelson Rockefeller and his anti-drug, anti-gun laws which helped to bring about the enslavement of the people of the state, a condition of no freedom, and/or a fear of government power used in the processing of those in society who prefer to live fre and do wtih their own bodies what they will. I would extoll that I am against the use of many drugs personally. That does not mean that I would like to see everyone follow my view, as that would be tyrannical. Isn't government tyranny, even Constitutional Republics to a point? Just goes to show that we no longer have a Constitutional Republic, but one that has degenerated into a Democracy, and soon into a tyranny, perhaps under a Hillary Clinton presidency, with her husband at the helm of the UN!

Return to Current Events Category Menu

Enslavements

This response submitted by Steve on 7/18/06 at 12:20 PM. ( steve@supra-blue.com ) 4.159.178.115

Hey Paul, what do you get for a lid?

Just kidding.

It was Ben Franklin who said "Any government will produce a despot when the people require it."

The founding fathers believed that any and all government is bad. But that's because all people are basically selfish at the core, and if you give them money through taxation, and power through legislation, it assails and corrupts whatever virtue they have been taught.

Thus they devised a system of checks and balances and codified the right to bear arms in case the people ever needed to protect themselves from the government.

They also believed that government, despite its inherent wickedness, was absolutely necessary to protect a vulnerable populace from the devices of evil men.

Personally, I would put drugs in the category of "evil". Their use is inherently destructive, but more importantly the users prey upon innocents to maintain their own enslavement.

If a drug user tried to befriend one of my children, I would do everything I could to see him go to prison. That's what government is for.

partly true

This response submitted by howlinwolf on 7/24/06 at 2:06 PM. ( ) 216.145.134.182

most drugusers are just that users. the real bad men are the suppliers, better known as pushers. but that only applies to illeagle drugs, doctors hand out perscriptions everyday that help some but some of those drugs are more harmful with there side effects than illeagle drugs, so who is really the pusher. if anyone tried to push drugs on a child and i saw it. i would be going to jail cause i would teach him a real lesson. but we as a society have to really educate ourselves on who is really doing the dealing.
just my two cents worth

Return to Current Events Category Menu