Animal Collection and the Fire Marshall

Submitted by John on 7/19/06 at 7:30 AM. ( prentice@aps.edu ) 172.194.119.253

I have spent the last 39 years creating a large collection of birds and Animals at Apache Elementary School in Albuquerque,New Mexico. Yesterday the State Fire Marshall and the Albuquerque Fire Dept. Fire Marsahll informed the school system that all the display cases in the corridors must be moved. It seems rather odd that they never said a word in the past about the cases. It is really disheartening to see all the work have been for naught. We have thousands of students tour the collection every year. We will try for a variance but don't put much faith in that happening. Maybe we can get a portable double wide and put the specimens in their for the students to view.

Return to Current Events Category Menu

What reasons do they give?

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/19/06 at 7:39 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

?

Simple fire code

This response submitted by Hogger on 7/19/06 at 8:03 AM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

Display cases or other objects in corridors, hallways, escape routes impead exiting during a fire. Especially in the dark of night and especially in buildings with high human occupancy.

They didn't

This response submitted by JL on 7/19/06 at 9:13 AM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.138

,,,,tell you not to display the mounts, only to not put them in the hallways.Sounds like a reasonable request for safety reasons in case of fire, etc. A double wide is an option but how about a case in each classroom and change them periodically?I don't see this as a terrible crisis, only a temporary inconvenience. Good luck...JL

Here in NY...

This response submitted by Craig on 7/19/06 at 9:47 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

(I know Cecil,...here he goes again) The Fire Code is respective of all classrooms also. It might not make a difference whether it is hallway or classroom. I would question the wording and the reasons in this one. I know I have walked through the halls and have seen table displays and items hung on the walls that one would think could be a hazard if there was a real emergency but according to the Fire Marshall it isn't breaking the fire code to do this.

Can you...

This response submitted by Gina on 7/19/06 at 10:12 AM. ( ) 71.236.215.234

split up the animals and display them throughout the school? Can they be trusted in classrooms? Make individul cases and hang them on the walls? There must be a solution cause that would just bite to have to move them all out, and the kids wouldnt like it either, I am sure.

Political Vendetta

This response submitted by John on 7/19/06 at 5:09 PM. ( prentice@aps.edu ) 172.190.2.252

I'll try to explain what is going on in Albuquerque. The Mayor(Martin Chavez) is mad at the Albuquerque School Board as he wants to take over management of the school system by appointing School Board members rather than have them elected by districts in the city. So he has withheld funding for the after-school latch-key programs and several other devious moves to prove that he can call all the shots. The AFD Fire Marshall called in the State Fire Marsahll Code Enforcement Officer yesterday. Never in 39 years has someone from the State showed up at our school. A poll taken by the Albuquerque Journal newspaper yesterday showed that 75% of the voters want the Mayor to leave the School Board alone. The Mayors CEO said that 25% tells the Mayor he has great support for taking over the schools. We are just another casualty along the way. The State officer wants to move the collection to the fourth floor of the University Library,which just recently had an arson fire costing over $5 Million to fix. The problem with the University Library is that few if any children would ever get to view the animals. The Fish & Wildlife Service thinks enough of what I have done to give us a Whooping Crane. Both Fire Marshalls questioned whether or not we had the proper permits. The Principal assured them that we held both State & Federal Permits allowing up to have the collection for Educational Purposes. I also have a State Salvage permit which allows me to pick-up road kills and preserve them for the school collection. You can view our collection by going to www.albuquerque public schools and clicking on Apache Elementary School.

The fire marshalls asked...

This response submitted by Craig on 7/19/06 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

if the school had valid permits for the specimens? Sounds like that power/control thing is running rampant in your city. Take some energy and get this mayor fired next election.

Return to Current Events Category Menu