The Plain Truth about the Roman Catholic Church

Submitted by Rich B. on 7/25/06 at 8:27 AM. ( ) 74.65.18.69

This is from a tract by James L. Melton

The Plain Truth about
the Roman Catholic Church

The Roman Catholic Church claims to have started in Matthew 16:18 when Christ supposedly appointed Peter as the first Pope. However, the honest and objective student of the Scriptures and history soon discovers that the foundation of the Roman church is none other than the pagan mystery religion of ancient Babylon.

While enduring the early persecutions of the Roman government (65-300 A.D.), most of professing Christianity went through a gradual departure from New Testament doctrine concerning church government, worship and practice. Local churches ceased to be autonomous by giving way to the control of "bishops" ruling over hierarchies. The simple form of worship from the heart was replaced with the rituals and splendor of paganism. Ministers became "priests," and pagans became "Christians" by simply being sprinkled with water. This tolerance of an unregenerate membership only made things worse. SPRINKLED PAGANISM is about the best definition for Roman Catholicism.

The Roman Emperor Constantine established himself as the head of the church around 313 A.D., which made this new "Christianity" the official religion of the Roman Empire. The first actual Pope in Rome was probably Leo I (440-461 A.D.), although some claim that Gregory I was the first (590-604 A.D.). This ungodly system eventually ushered in the darkest period of history known to man, properly known as the "Dark Ages" (500-1500 A.D.). Through popes, bishops, and priests, Satan ruled Europe, and Biblical Christianity became illegal.

Throughout all of this, however, there remained individual groups of true Christians, such as the Waldensens and the Anabaptists who would not conform to the Roman system.

The Papacy and Priesthood

In the Bible there are no popes or priests to rule over the church. Jesus Christ is our High Priest (Heb. 3:1; 4:14-15; 5:5; 8:1; 9:11), and all true Christians make up a spiritual priesthood (I Pet. 2:5). Jesus Christ has sanctified all Christians who believe on Him (Heb. 10:10-11), so all priests today are unnecessary and unscriptural. Furthermore, the practice of calling a priest "father" is forbidden by Jesus Christ in Matthew 23:9. There is only ONE mediator between God and men (I Tim. 2:5).

The Catholic church teaches that Peter was the first Pope and the earthly head of the church, but the Bible never says this once. In fact, it was Peter himself who spoke against "being lords over God's heritage" in I Peter 5:3. Popes do not marry, although Peter did (Mat. 8:14; I Cor. 9:5). The Bible never speaks of Peter being in Rome, and it was Paul, not Peter, who wrote the epistle to the Romans. In the New Testament, Paul wrote 100 chapters with 2,325 verses, while Peter wrote only 8 chapters with 166 verses. In Peter's first epistle he stated that he was simply "an apostle of Jesus Christ," not a Pope (I Pet. 1:1). The Roman papacy and priesthood is just a huge fraud to keep members in bondage to a corrupt pagan church.

The Worship of Mary

Roman Catholics believe that Mary, the mother of Jesus, remained a virgin after the birth of Jesus and was sinless all of her life. She is worshiped in the Catholic church as the "Mother of God" and the "Queen of Heaven." St. Bernard stated that she was crowned "Queen of Heaven" by God the Father, and that she currently sits upon a throne in Heaven making intercession for Christians.

The Bible teaches otherwise. In the Bible, Mary was a sinner just like the rest of us. She said herself that she needed a "Saviour" (Lk. 1:47), and she even had to offer a sacrifice for her sins in Luke 2:24. Jesus was only her "firstborn" son, according to Matthew 1:25, because she later had other children as well (Mt. 13:55; Gal. 1:19; Psa. 69:8). There's only ONE mediator between God and men, and it isn't Mary (I Tim. 2:5). The last time we hear from Mary in the Bible she is praying WITH the disciples, not being prayed to BY the disciples (Acts 1:14). The Bible never exalts Mary above anyone else. Neither should we.

Purgatory

The Catholic Church teaches that a Christian's soul must burn in purgatory after death until all of their sins have been purged. To speed up the purging process, money may be paid to a priest so he can pray and have special masses for an earlier release.

This heresy began creeping into the Roman Church during the reign of Pope Gregory around the end of the sixth century, and it has no scriptural support. In fact, Jesus warned us about this pagan practice in Matthew 23:14 when He spoke of those who devoured widows houses and made long prayers for a pretence. Psalm 49:6-7 tells us that a person couldn't redeem a loved one, even if such a place did exist: "They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches; None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:"

Peter addresses this issue in Acts 8:20 when he says, "Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money." God's word is clearly against the doctrine of purgatory.

The Mass

By perverting the Christian practice of the Lord's Supper (Mat. 26:26-28; I Cor. 11:23-27), the Catholic Church has created the Mass, which they believe to be a continual sacrifice of Jesus Christ:

"Christ...commanded that his bloody sacrifice on the Cross should be daily renewed by an unbloody sacrifice of his body and blood in the Mass under the simple elements of bread and wine." (The Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 10, Pg. 13, Article: "Mass, Sacrifice of")

Jesus never made such a command. If you'll check the above references in Matthew 26 and I Corinthians 11, you'll see for yourself that the Lord's Supper is a MEMORIAL and a SHOWING of Christ's death until He comes again. It is not a sacrifice. The Catholic Encyclopedia states the following:

"In the celebration of the Holy Mass, the bread and wine are changed into the body and blood of Christ. It is called transubstantiation, for in the Sacrament of the Eucharist the substance of bread and wine do not remain, but the entire substance of bread is changed into the body of Christ, and the entire substance of wine is changed into his blood, the species or outward semblence of bread and wine alone remaining." (Vol. 4, pg. 277, Article: "Consecration")

The Catholic Church teaches that the "Holy Mass" is a LITERAL EATING AND DRINKING OF THE LITERAL FLESH AND BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST. The priest supposedly has the power to change the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ.

Now, what does God's word say about such practices? If you'll read Genesis 9:4, Leviticus 17:11-12, and Acts 15:29, you will find that God absolutely FORBIDS the drinking of blood all through the Bible.

Rome teaches that the Mass is a continual "sacrifice" of Jesus Christ, but God's word states that Jesus made the FINAL sacrifice on Calvary! This is made perfectly clear in Hebrews 10:10-12:

"By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God."

The mass is unnecessary and unscriptural.

Image Worship

The Catholic religion is filled with all sorts of symbols, images, and relics. The Catechism of the Council of Trent states these words:

"It is lawful to have images in the Church, and to give honor and worship unto them..."

It's lawful to honor and worship images? Not according to God's word. Exodus 20:4-5 says, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me." Image worship is unscriptural and will end with the eternal damnation of those who practice it (Rev. 14:11).

Salvation by Works

Through infant baptism, keeping sacraments, church membership, going to mass, praying to Mary, and confession (just to mention a few), the Catholic church has developed a system of salvation through WORKS. God's word says that we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not through works:

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Eph. 2:8-9)

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." (Romans 4:5)

Jesus Christ came into this world to lay down His sinless life for YOU--to pay for your sins, because you couldn't. Jesus is your only hope for salvation. Only by receiving Him as your Saviour can you enter the gates of Heaven. There is no other way.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me." (John 14:6)

The Lord Jesus Christ has come and PAID for your sins by shedding His own Blood on Calvary. By receiving Him as your Saviour, you can be WASHED from all your sins in His precious Blood (Rev. 1:5; Col. 1:14; Acts 20:28; I Pet. 1:18-19). Notice these important words from Romans 5:8-9:

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

Jesus PAID your way to Heaven for you! By receiving Him as your Saviour, you will be receiving God's ONLY means of Salvation for you. Are you willing to forsake YOUR righteousness and receive Jesus Christ as your Saviour, your ONLY HOPE for Salvation? Romans 10:13 says, "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:9 says, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Are you willing to forsake your own righteousness, and trust Jesus Christ alone? He will save you just as He promised. Why not receive Him today and trust Him to give you a better way of life?

Return to Current Events Category Menu

oh Brother

This response submitted by .. on 7/25/06 at 8:32 AM. ( ) 75.10.48.43

Thank you for your opinion. It is always nice to see a bigot on the forum.

hey .. (dot boy)

This response submitted by Michael Sestak on 7/25/06 at 9:23 AM. ( ) 24.49.203.34

first of all, Rich B. left his name and told us where this information came from.
your only reply was an immediate insult lead by two dots.
all of us are most definately entitled to an opinion be it right or wrong.
now think about this...what if the above post isnt only right but also TRUE and the catholic church is the false church leading many into hell.
i disconnected with the catholic church many years ago over personal reasons that could be fixed with the church by donating money to the church.
you can do almost anything and still be welcome in the church for the right amount of cash.
i am a christian, not a good one nor a great one, but a christian non the less ( we are all sinners) i try.
but what if the above is right, didnt the romans crucify Christ, then perhaps see a way to make lots and lots of money off of that?
just an opinion. i dont believe the catholic church can forgive us of our sins thru confession.
i dont believe in the statues (?) they have all around (false idols)
i dont like calling a priest, Father.
and what about all those folks that kneel (bow) down and kiss the popes ring, who made him the last word on salvation.
there are a lot of Holy people in this world but we certainly are not suppose to worship them.
but what if the above post is TRUE? uh..oh

AND

This response submitted by Michael Sestak on 7/25/06 at 9:33 AM. ( ) 24.49.203.34

if the catholic church was all they say they are then...

WHY do they help child molesting pedophile priests avoid prosecution? they cover the abuses up and move that damn pedophile from one parish to another.

you could have a child molesting priest in your catholic church eyeing up your child and not even know it.

AND he's doing it with the blessings of the church, the bishop, and most likely the cardinals and the pope too.

Now thats a church you want to defend then go ahead.

You are right

This response submitted by dot boy on 7/25/06 at 9:43 AM. ( ) 75.10.48.43

Let's take it point by point. First you are right. I didn't post my name. My IP address is posted. You can find out everything just from that. I'm sorry you had a falling out with the Church. That hardly means Catholics are void of salvation. Yes, the Romans crucified Christ, believe it or not, God wanted it to be that way. All of the "false idols" you talk about a simply part of tradition. For most of the 2000 years of the Church, most of its followers were illiterate, hence the need for visual aids. More people "worship" that bass on the wall than actually worship statues, and yes of course when they do actually worship them, in my opinion that would be wrong. Long story short, there will more than a few surprised souls in hell one day, with fair amounts of Bible thumpin' Baptists and Catholics alike.

The First Church

This response submitted by Alex Sr on 7/25/06 at 10:25 AM. ( ) 66.245.120.209

In The Bible Began In Jerusalem Of Which it was 100% Jewish, The head of it was not Peter But Jacob(James)Brother of Jesus.

The Roman Church's history is all a fantasy,thus giving themselves a supremacy so they could manipulate the masses, into accepting a pagan worship and pagan rituals, that is why they hate the Jews and persecuted them in Europe during the inquisition.

This Church is the Harlot described in the book of revelations, because she sleeps with all the governors of Darkness in this earth.

Religion and Politics

This response submitted by George on 7/25/06 at 10:39 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.11

You guys can't help having to be "superior" to one another, can you? Christians, by and large assume to have the market cornered on the Supreme Being, yet American Indians were worshiping a Great Spirit long before the white man "saved" him and wiped him off the face of the Earth. Natives to Easter Island had a ritual allowing them to move huge stones from the beach till Christians taught them how unholy the practice was and destroyed the evidence. The ancient Egyptian were phenominally advance as were the Inca's and the Aztecs, but the Spaniards decided gold and the fountain of youth justified eliminating them. The Chinese and the Japanese have recorded histories for millinnea that is just scoffed at. So to all those "Christians" who continually berate others and find fault in their personal beliefs, do you really doubt God? I think somewhere in those scriptures you like to quote, God threatens you with really simple words to the effect that if he finds that you have judged others, he will not take kindly to it and judge YOU accordingly?

George

This response submitted by Rich B. on 7/25/06 at 11:16 AM. ( ) 74.65.18.69

I'm not trying to be superior in any way and by no means am I judging anyone. I believe a suitable term would be DISCERNMENT.
I pray to God to show me the TRUTH out of all the chaos, confusion and disctractions that we have to cope with today.
As for the Indians, look at the rituals and things that they performed (scalping,taking drugs,etc.) Do you think that they may have been conjuring up evil spirits(Satan)? You know that in the Bible, there were people all over worshipping many FALSE GODS.

Jesus said in John 8:32

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

So many points of view...

This response submitted by Terry on 7/25/06 at 11:33 AM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.161

Not really sure how to respond to everything on here, but I feel compelled to say something...

Dot Boy (and it is darned hard to keep a straight face typing that and yes, maybe I could go back and figure out the IP but maybe I'm not that gifted with computers or just plain lazy)... I do agree: I am a former Catholic. I agree with what Rich posted about the Catholic Church. But I believe you are right too: There are saved Catholics, just as there are those of other denominations (you mentioned Baptist, of which I currently attend) that may wind up surprised someday.

Alex: Hmmm... not sure, but I do question some of the bending that some churches are doing today, bending that is clearly not scriptural. I guess with regards to your thoughts... time will tell. I know what God asks of me and that's what I will choose to concentrate on during my days here. I do know that my favorite Bible verse says to be joyful always, pray continually and give thanks in all circumstances. Say what you want about taking a verse out of context, I take those as marching orders and as a Christian do not believe I can go to far wrong if I always keep those three in mind (the KISS method for Christians? lol).

George: I often wonder about some of the things we can't explain, with regards to ancient civilizations and their belief systems and how God and His plan factor into it all. Ultimately I have to plod on content in the knowledge I may never know but that it does not in any way diminish my own faith in His promises. You do make a good point with not judging. In Rich's defense, as well as some of the others who have posted on this thread, I don't think they are necessarily judging. I guess when I think of judging, I think about somebody being judged as an individual, for the individual decisions they make. I believe that is what we were admonished not to do and I don't think it's happening here necessarily. But to hold forth an opinion about what an entire body or organization represents... I think that is a different matter. Christ didn't judge the individual but he certainly had definite thoughts about different groups back then. While we are taught not to judge, we are also urged to separate ourselves from the world. Unfortunately, it does seem that many religions and denominations are giving into the world, possibly in a misguided attempt to reach people. It is up to us as prayerful, concientious believers to be vigilant that we are not also entrapped.

My own personal beliefs are that there is an tremendous spiritual war being waged daily (Read a bit of John Eldredge... really good stuff, IMHO). Satan is oft times subtle in his attempts to sway us... were he blunt and obvious we would see him for what he is so much more easily. Perhaps referring again to the post by Alex, it is that "blending" and blurring of the lines that is so dangerous in today's day and age.

To one and all, have a terrific Tuesday. I certainly plan to! Time to go make some eggs for breakfast (I am on Alaskan time, lest you accuse me of being a late riser...lol).

Discernment...

This response submitted by Terry on 7/25/06 at 11:37 AM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.150

...good term Rich... and I totally agree.

Jim Marsico

This response submitted by mvartistry@qwest.net on 7/25/06 at 11:58 AM. ( ) 71.32.156.208

I REALLY feel sorry for some people that seem to need to feel better than others. Ego and Pride are at the top of the list of the seven deadly sins. I am a proud Catholic and a Christain and I KNOW my relationship with God is a strong and good one. I think we would all be better off improving our relationships with God rather than spreading this kind of tripe about each others walk with the Lord. These twisted crap lies and distortions about my church are just that and are all easily proven so in any objective and honest study for the truth. Anyone interested in knowing the facts is welcome to email me. Thank you.

So I am going to hell?

This response submitted by Brian Mandersheidt on 7/25/06 at 11:59 AM. ( ) 207.177.16.1

I am a Catholic, and go to church every week. I pray not only to God, but through Mary as well. When you say the Hail Mary, you are not praying to Her, but rather through her. You are asking Her to "pray for us sinners". You are not asking Her to forgive you for your sins.

I don't give a nickel what your beliefs are, I really don't. Why do you feel the need to be so critical of mine? Do you really feel I am damned for hell simply because I am a Catholic? I am just as disgusted as you are when a priest hurts a child, but it has nothing to do with me. I am no more guilty or shamed by it that you are when a person of your faith commits a crime. There are bad apples in every barrel.

Rich, the Bible is filled with worse.

This response submitted by George on 7/25/06 at 12:25 PM. ( ) 64.12.117.11

Lot impregnated his own daughters, Noah was drunk when God tried to speak to him, Cain killed Abel, Samson was told to slay the Phillistines, even God told Abraham to kill Isaac, and the stories go on. If ALL religions could understand that the tombs they bow to are but stories written by other humans and stop playing God themselves, they'd find life fulfilling enough without casting aspersions on others. Todays Muslim terrorists, in the historical concept of history, are really little different from the papal sanctioned Crusades of the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries. You guys never seem to learn that religion and politics don't belong here. WE have but one world to live in. Picking sides and choosing whose "god" is better isn't going to save any of you from having to give up your human form at some time. Maybe you should spend more time thinking about that than judging those who don't agree with your personal concept. When you die, you die alone regardless of who's surround you at your time. When you live, you live TOGETHER. Why can't you accept the joy of life instead?

Rich, here is something to consider...

This response submitted by Don Patton on 7/25/06 at 12:39 PM. ( ) 64.109.211.6

If you look at an Historical time line of the "Church" after the life of Christ, you will find that there was only one Church for over 1000 yrs. That was the Orthodox Catholic Christian church.
During the great Schism (apporx. 1052 A.D.) Rome broke away from the Orhtodox Church. Following history all Splinters and divisions in the Church came from this 1st Division...but keep in mind there was only one Church for over 1000 yrs !
A Question I have to asked many contributing here is which came first...the Bible or the Church ? The answer is the Church (Orthodox) gave us the Bible. Therefore, the Church has the authority or interpretation of the Bible, which it gave to us. Not the other way around.
In this day and age, everybody with a Bible feels "They" have the correct interpretation. Thats why you have new churches (or ever increasing Divisions to the Body of Christ) appearing.
A book that really tied some of these thoughts together was "The Rich Heritage of Orthodoxy" by Fr. Charles Bell. I highly recommend it. It impacted my thinking.

OK

This response submitted by Rich B. on 7/25/06 at 1:22 PM. ( ) 74.65.18.69

mvartistry you say:

"Ego and Pride are at the top of the list of the seven deadly sins. I am a proud Catholic..."

Brian:
From the top...
"There's only ONE mediator between God and men, and it isn't Mary (I Tim. 2:5). The last time we hear from Mary in the Bible she is praying WITH the disciples, not being prayed to BY the disciples (Acts 1:14). The Bible never exalts Mary above anyone else. Neither should we."

George:
You said it...not me.
"...papal sanctioned Crusades..."

Don:
From the top...
"While enduring the early persecutions of the Roman government (65-300 A.D.), most of professing Christianity went through a gradual departure from New Testament doctrine concerning church government, worship and practice. Local churches ceased to be autonomous by giving way to the control of "bishops" ruling over hierarchies. The simple form of worship from the heart was replaced with the rituals and splendor of paganism. Ministers became "priests," and pagans became "Christians" by simply being sprinkled with water. This tolerance of an unregenerate membership only made things worse. SPRINKLED PAGANISM is about the best definition for Roman Catholicism.

if your interested

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 7/25/06 at 1:22 PM. ( ) 71.32.156.208

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/ Good honest answers and a easy to navigate site to the lies and distortions of Rich's 1st post. I would ask Rich to pray for me and others but oh yea, I can reach God ONLY thru Jesus. This post of Rich's is really uncalled for and anyone that would believe these lies should be ashamed. They are easily debunked.

there is pride

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 7/25/06 at 2:03 PM. ( ) 71.32.156.208

is such as thing as ones work and profession and then there is pride such as ego and vanity. One good the other bad. Rich you have twisted truth and words to the shame of yourself and God. To bad for you.

Jesus said:

This response submitted by Rich B. on 7/25/06 at 2:07 PM. ( ) 74.65.18.69

"...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 14:6

The Pope Paul VI, November 21, 1962 (Vatican II) said:
that "the Catholic church is the only way to salvation."

Take your pick

Twisted half truth

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 7/25/06 at 2:37 PM. ( ) 71.32.156.208

On just the second stupid out of context mean spirited line of Richs the pope meant, this quote was taken out of context, and the what church STILL teaches that that by the word Catholic "universal" is meant. And that means ALL Christains, even Rich, but I am wondering, and even those who worship God to the best of thier knowledge or ability without ever even hearing of Christ like unborn and new babies and/or Jews and children of other religions; remember Jesus met with Elija and Moses on the mount; Jews who did not know Christ in thier lifetimes. This is all MORE twisted CRAP from Rich who keeps on PROVING NOW BEYOND ALL DOUBT THAT HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT, but he insists on being hateful and ignorant in twisting the gospel and what the Catholic church teaches, like Satan who revels this garbage of half truths and lies that Rich is spueing out from a anti Cathloic hate filled web site of cut and pastes

All of you have caused me to "stir" a little

This response submitted by Kim Mikules on 7/25/06 at 2:41 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

Took a quick break and noticed a few posts. Funny how "religion" brings out the emotion and background of many with a neeed to express themselves. I guess I am no different in that regard...but then, I never really had a problem with "telling it the way I see it." LMAO!

George is right about the American Indian worshipping the "Great Spirit" in the sky. The simple fact is, the "Great Spirit" is the same one that we worship! The same GOD and creator of all things. Too bad most people never realize this simplicity approach.

Mankind is the only problem as they have been influenced by the "fallen ones". All sorts of "things" have been distorted and the masses have flocked to have their ears tickled. Know what I mean?

If you take the time to do the research, You will find many facts that ALL Religions seem to avoid...or they will confuse you with more hocus-pocus renderings.

About time to start a new post titled: "Is There a Sound Basis for Your Beliefs?"

Look for this post in a few moments. Of course, it is only for those that believe that the Bible IS the word of GOD. Mankind is the instrument used to distort it...Just my observation of course.

Anyway---back to mounting up African game...KIM

Rich, you are right and I am wrong...

This response submitted by Brian Mandersheidt on 7/25/06 at 2:46 PM. ( ) 207.177.16.90

...now do you feel better?

I will take my chances with my beliefs, you take yours. I will continue with my Hail Mary's and you can continue to pity my ignorance. I am doing my best to be a good Christian, and I find it hard to believe that I will be sentenced to hell for it when my time on this earth ends. If it makes you feel better to think that I will be and only those with your exact beliefs will be saved, than by all means do so. Whatever gets you through the day.

Sigh...

This response submitted by Terry on 7/25/06 at 3:17 PM. ( go_tigers90@yahoo.com ) 64.74.177.182

Catholic or Baptist or ANY Christian denomination...

Anyone who believes that Jesus Christ was the son of God, did in fact die for our sins and through whom we have salvation...

Everyone seems to have their points to make based on their background or denominational affiliation... And while I know that the Catholic Bible has a few more books to its OT (sorry... it's been too long and I do not remember...), I believe we are all reading from the same New Testament, correct?

Well, according to what I read, the New Testament is littered with references to the unity we should feel as believers.

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." Romans 15:5-7

Chapter 14 before it talks about acceptance among believers in disputable matters (the example used a lot is food). I think maybe it would be a good read for everyone adding to this thread. By all means the whole chapter (in context) I believe has application to this thread. I will share just two verses from it; feel free to go back and see them in the context of the chapter.

"Therefore let us stop passing judgement on one another. Instead make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way." (verse 13)

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification." (verse 19)

As I mentioned- and many of you are no doubt well aware- there are so many mentions of unity. And while many of those letters with those mentions called for unity for many of the early churches in the face of daunting obstacles, I believe the message would be the same if a letter were written to today's churches: stand together... put aside differences... push forward to the prize set before us through our Lord Jesus Christ.

OK, a couple more and I'll shut up...

"Be completely humble and gentle; bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." Ephesians 4:2-3

"Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:12-13

OK... I'm done. And I still haven't had any eggs (busy working on a fish) so it is time to address that.

I respect that we all have differing opinions. Our uniquenss is one of the truly great things about God's creation of us. But think about the end goal we all ultimately share.

My original intent with the FREE! post ...

This response submitted by Rich B. on 7/25/06 at 5:59 PM. ( ) 74.65.18.69

was to direct lost souls to Jesus Christ. It was not to bash anybody or to achieve an agenda for one particular denomination.

Jim,
it saddens me that you must continue to call me "hateful" and "ignorant" when I'm just proclaiming the Gospel message of the Lord that you supposedly worship along with me.

To Those Catholics

This response submitted by Alex Sr on 7/25/06 at 9:24 PM. ( ) 66.245.120.209

Whom I might have offended, You are not the hiarchy of the RCC, you are believers in Christ and therefore saved, I did not mean that Catholc Christians are at fault for what the papacy have done and it is doing.

No One is saved by any church ,whether catholic protestant or whatever, God is a God and savior to the individual not a denomination.

Am sorry if I hurt your feelings, Peace

Jim Marsico is correct...

This response submitted by joeym on 7/25/06 at 9:25 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 70.152.117.162

I am a United Methodist...every Sunday we recite the "Apostles' Creed" which proclaims "I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic church, the Communion of Saints..." The term "catholic" means "the church universal", which is the body of Christ. The quote from the Pope Paul VI was taken out of context...I believe he meant the only way to salvation was through believing and following in Christ. I do not believe in bashing the religions of others...I have friends who are Jewish, Gentile, and agnostic, my family background is both Catholic and
Protestant.

You know what's funny?

This response submitted by Paul B on 7/25/06 at 11:43 PM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.110

I have heard Catholics being bashed by other churches (Baptist,Christian Reformed, ect.) all my life. My father had a business that was involved with constuction and masonry supplies. Most the masons in our area were Christian Reformed and wouldn't step foot through the door. They refused to do business with a polish catholic. Never once did I here my dad bad mouth any of them or there church. I can not recall ever hearing any of my fellow parishoners ever bash another church.

I enjoy attending Mass and praying for people who need help. I have attended other churches and they seem OK. I just don't understand some people. Religion is personal and attacking ones religion seems like a personal attack.

Rich, how would you like it if I said your fish sucked? You need to paint them like me so they look more natural. My way is the only way.

Think about it, and lay off the Catholic bashing and work on something else.

Paul B.

Paul

This response submitted by Rich B. on 7/26/06 at 7:32 AM. ( ) 74.65.18.69

If you were to smell smoke in the middle of the night and jump up to see that your neighbor's house was on fire, wouldn't you let them know about it and do all that was in your power to help them get out?

I said what I said out of love and not hate.

Jesus said in Mark 12:30-31

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."

This is what I am doing. I am risking my reputation to tell people the Truth about Jesus Christ, because I Love the Lord God with all my soul, mind and strength; and I am loving my neighbor as myself(by caring about his/her salvation).

If you told me that my fish work stunk, I would agree with you.

"...Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5

So what you're saying is...

This response submitted by Paul B on 7/26/06 at 8:44 AM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.110

in your infinate wisdom and studies of religion, that your path is the only one, and the Catholic church is a path to satan.

I'd be curious how many times you have attended any Catholic function, be it mass, festival, parish fund raiser, ect. How many Catholics do you personaly know? It's obvious that you know nothing, or this post would have never started.

I'm not one to quote the Bible too often, but isn't there a passage where Jesus tells someone a parable regarding passing judhement, or maybe right to the person I don't remember, but it goes something like this " do not point out the splinter in your neighbor's eye when you have a tree limb in your own"

Paul B

And I Thought This Was A Taxidermy Site !

This response submitted by Alan on 7/26/06 at 10:37 AM. ( ) 65.164.110.234

Can't we use this site for what it was intended?

Current events or whatever...

This response submitted by KIM on 7/26/06 at 8:09 PM. ( ) 69.171.240.121

...all is in order...

Christ is a current event

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 7/27/06 at 11:33 AM. ( ) 71.32.156.208

Rich and some others if you would do a study of the historical Christain church APART from any extreme anti Catholic web site or even any Catholic site I am quite sure you would change your ideas. Right now I just feel sorry for you. Your logic, doctrine and narrow minded knowledge, one liner bible quotes out of context are all frankly quite sickening and it DOES turn off anyone that may of been even remotely interested in the salvation of Christ which you want to preach. Do your homework and stop bashing other Christain faiths or any other faiths for that mattter. Please remember Christ was a Jew brought up in the Jewish religion and tradition. Christ was not a Christain. A Christain FOLLOWS Christ who fulfills who makes new the old testament. Tell you anything? I doubt it, you do not think that deep and you obviously don't want to think that deep, or can not.

Something to study up on

This response submitted by DaveT on 7/27/06 at 9:32 PM. ( ) 24.32.84.11

The reformation and the translation of the Bible from Greek/Latin to English was protested pretty severely... ever wonder why and by who?

"I am the way and the truth and the life, noone comes to the Father except through me" any religion that preaches otherwise is a spirit of the Antichrist. You don't believe me, read I John, II John and III John... doesn't get any clearer then that.

DaveT

Catholics say amen to to that!

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 7/27/06 at 10:15 PM. ( ) 71.32.156.208

Anything else is not a doctrine of the Catholic church and is a lie or twisted truth from a anti catholic source such as Rich sites. It was the catholic church that has preserved the bible thriugh the ages! Its a Catholic book! The Catholic church cannonised the bible you read today about 1700 hundred years ago! The Catholic church is make up of over 40% or so of all Christains! They are the LARGEST BY FAR publisher and distribitor of the bible on earth! Martin Luther wrote in and out changes to the bible that was accepted as truth in full for over 1400 years. He even tried and wanted to throw out the book of James and Revelation! The few books in the old testament he did manage to get thrown out were in the Jewish bible that Christ himself used. Go look it up from any unbiased source. Whats the use here, The UTTER TWISTING and blantent misunderstanding of Church and bible history all else related is mostly lost to this group.

Return to Current Events Category Menu