O.K. what are the chances?

Submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/31/06 at 8:13 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

Been live trapping and drowning chipmunks from the garden. They're really doing a number on the garden and elsewhere and they've got to go. The last one I let out of the cage and let the dog run 'em down and kill 'em. Dog really liked it so I thought I would do it again with the lastest one. Problem was the dog went one way and the chipmunk ran the other way right back to the garden. Dogs sniffing around like, Where'd he go, where'd he go?"

What are the chances I will lure the same one again into the live trap? Are they smart enough to not go back in once they are trapped and released? Do they learn?

Return to Current Events Category Menu

Pretty good with new bait

This response submitted by Roger Dolling on 7/31/06 at 8:26 PM. ( rd50325@netscape.com ) 172.132.230.223

Sounds like my dog...gets so excited, and forgets what up. They always go back to the drain pipes from the downspouts to hide in. Its fun to block the open end and hear them scratching smooth aluminum and try to go verticle. They do not get too far. I have wonderful luck catching the chipmunks with cracked corn stuck to peanut butter on the trap tray. Also if it is hot and dry where your at, you can fill a 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full of fresh water with paint stick or similar going to the top. Thirst drives them to the edge for a drink...falls in and can't climb out.
Good luck.
Roger

Yep

This response submitted by Alex on 7/31/06 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 66.32.121.134

They are like liberals, they keep falling on the same trap every year LMAO

stray cats

This response submitted by Alf on 7/31/06 at 9:10 PM. ( ) 24.154.78.197

are good chippie killers, if there's any left in your neighborhood.

I've had

This response submitted by John M on 7/31/06 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 68.117.26.206

really good luck keeping rabbits etc... out of my garden with a product called "liqiud fence" (walmart?). Has worked for the past 3 years, of course your dog won't get as much excercise.

Alf are you referring to the three stray cats

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 7/31/06 at 9:17 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

I offed this year? Did you remember my post on the subject? Unfortunately I think you may be right.

Yea I remember

This response submitted by Alf on 7/31/06 at 9:24 PM. ( were's Lucky when you need him? ) 24.154.78.197

the cat stories. The only reason is I did the same thing. Now I got herds of them in my ringneck pen cause they found out nothing can get to them.

Cecil

This response submitted by Ken on 7/31/06 at 9:25 PM. ( fishwork2005@yahoo.com ) 68.218.112.231

You need a cat, bud. I had a small problem with the little ba#&@!ds too. A couple of weeks ago I stepped out the sliding glass door to the patio and my cats (Lionel and Peaches...tabbies...excellent reference!)darted into the house with a live chipmunk and dropped him on the kitchen floor. When I walked back in the house, I saw them both, heads cocked, looking at the little rascal, clearly disappointed that he was no more fun. Hmmph! As agitated as I was that they brought him in the house, I made no fuss, grapped a paper towel from the counter and went to scoop him. As I reached for his seemingly lifeless body he suddenly awoke with a purpose and darted into my sunken living room. 45 minutes later, 2 broken decorative plates, several overturned softball trophies and a big mess...Peaches got him! I tried to coax her outside with him, but when she got to the kitchen, she dropped him on the floor again. I think she did it on purpose. It took me 10 minutes to flush him out from underneath the refridgerator. I couldnt catch him with my hands and I kept knocking stuff over with the broom but I finally through a towel over him and hit him with the broom. Surely that fixed him. I picked him up, opened the door and threw him out in the yard. Before the cats got to him, he darted through the chainlink fence with a quickness and the rest is history. That was the first and last chipper Ive seen in the yard. Anybody know how to git rid of a Opossum?

water and leather glove

This response submitted by Mr.T on 7/31/06 at 9:28 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.28

pour water out of a 5 gallon bucket or hose into the ground hole and grab them with leather gloves when they come swimming out. Spent many a day at the grave yards when younger collecting chips. Works real well for catching them by hand.

for starters...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 7/31/06 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 66.133.132.174

The chipmunks sound smarter than you, Cecil, so right there you got a problem, and maybe some would argue, dumb chipmunks!

Seriously, the water bucket guy is right on. I do the same thing, fill a bucket up with water, run a solid wire from one side to the other at the top, and put a pop can through the wire. The wood lathe goes up the outside of the bucket, of course. Put peanut butter on the can. They climb right up the lathe, smelling the water or peanut butter, climb onto the wire and when they step on the baited pop can, it spins, and the chippys in the drink. The beauty of it? Multiple catches, and its works on mice or rats too.

Cecil, a simple rat trap is even easier, though...

Sunflower seeds and 5 gal bucket

This response submitted by Craig on 8/1/06 at 12:57 PM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

Fill the bucket about half way full and pour sunflower seeds in it to cover the water. A small ramp, either a stick of wood or some mesh screen attached to the outside of the pail, assists them to get in. The seeds float and it looks like a bucket full of food to them until they fall in and find they can't tread water very long.

I like the bucket but...

This response submitted by Trapper on 8/1/06 at 4:00 PM. ( ) 24.192.38.149

I'd rather use my 10 guage. Not only does it kill the spotted little rat, it also REALLy pisses off my anti-gun, anti-hunting neighbor! Now befroe you guys go off on me, you should know I only do this when she is outside on her patio or stooped over in her garden. (This way I can SHOW her what PETA made me do)

Mitch

sorry about the grammatical errors

This response submitted by Trapper on 8/1/06 at 4:17 PM. ( ) 24.192.38.149

I had chipmunk parts on stuck on my glasses.

Return to Current Events Category Menu